Ask Ripple Anything!

RippleGylf

Why is your username RippleGylf?

Well, a while back I was on a forums about the Warriors series (you know, the one with cats). My username there was Ripplestream. At the same time, I was part of a gaming group online and there I went by Gylfie, the name of an elf owl in the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series. When I decided that I wanted a consolidated screen name, I just meshed the two. So, RippleGylf. Perhaps poorly thought out, as Gylf is both hard to spell and hard to sound out in one's head, apparently. Nevertheless, it is my screen name. :)

So at first I read that Nevertheless as Nevertheres, as such I'll ask you if you have read enough of Portland to have an opinion on Neverthere.

Plus, what's your opinion on stuff with a wild west flair?

Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to read through Portland yet. So I don't really have an opinion on Neverthere.

As for the wild west, done well, I like it, but any type of theming done poorly seems arbitrary. For example, I really like that wild west feel in Alloy of Law, but I'm not a huge fan of the genre in general, if that makes sense.

How much of the Warriors series have you read?

I've read up through the third (?) book of the Dawn of the Clans. When I first read the books back in 4th grade, I absolutely loved them. Now, not so much, as I have found better books to occupy my time with. The plot just became really repetitive with the Warrior Code being used as a primary source of conflict. I thought the Dawn of the Clans ones were good, perhaps because there was no Warrior Code to break. :ph34r:  

You get to spend one hour with the Brandon Sanderson character of your choice. Who is it and why?

That's a tough one... probably Melody from Rithmatist, because she seems like a nice person to be around, but somewhat lonely, so I think we would get along well. Second choice would probably be Hoid.

How awesome would it be to be able to flip the world into 4D like in Super Paper Mario?

Or the opposite, flipping the world into lesser dimensions? Would this be a super power you would want?

Flipping into the fourth dimension, assuming you mean time, would be amazing, because who doesn't like time travel?  ^_^

Less dimensions, while interesting, would be kinda baffling. I've gotten my fill from Flatland, thank you very much.  :P

Flipping into the fourth dimension, assuming you mean time, would be amazing, because who doesn't like time travel?  ^_^

Less dimensions, while interesting, would be kinda baffling. I've gotten my fill from Flatland, thank you very much.  :P

I was thinking some theoretical fourth spacial dimension, Im not sure if taht would be more or less weird than being able to move freely in time.

I think you could save some traveling time with it though, you make point A and point B exist on the same 2D plane and then you sort of teleport, maybe, or maybe that wouldnt work... Im no expert.

I was thinking some theoretical fourth spacial dimension, Im not sure if taht would be more or less weird than being able to move freely in time.

I think you could save some traveling time with it though, you make point A and point B exist on the same 2D plane and then you sort of teleport, maybe, or maybe that wouldnt work... Im no expert.

The other day I was watching a lecture on The Science of Doctor Who, I believe it's on Netflix. Anyways, it kind of explained the theory of relativity so I could finally understand it. As a part of it, there was a graph that represented the possible places an object could be in space and time, represented as a kind of coordinate plane. As I thought about it, however, I realized that the x-axis (which represented space) wasn't very accurate, as it was just a line. Thinking through this, it should really show all three dimensions. The question is, where does the former y-axis (time) go? And that's how I understood why some think that time is the fourth dimension. A theoretical fourth spacial dimension is even more boggling than viewing a lesser dimension.

The other day I was watching a lecture on The Science of Doctor Who, I believe it's on Netflix. Anyways, it kind of explained the theory of relativity so I could finally understand it. As a part of it, there was a graph that represented the possible places an object could be in space and time, represented as a kind of coordinate plane. As I thought about it, however, I realized that the x-axis (which represented space) wasn't very accurate, as it was just a line. Thinking through this, it should really show all three dimensions. The question is, where does the former y-axis (time) go? And that's how I understood why some think that time is the fourth dimension. A theoretical fourth spacial dimension is even more boggling than viewing a lesser dimension.

Well, there exists theories that time as we know it doesnt really exist, there is just movement.

Being perfectly 4D would be weird as you could be anywhen you like, which would do weird things. You would probably start to think of time as just another 'location'. Imagine if everyone could move freely in time, think The Doctor and River had a complicated relationship? XD

I think it would be interesting, you flip and you got a whole different world almost right where your usual world is.

And just to boggle your mind a little more, have a rotating hypercube:

220px-8-cell.gif

Insane, isnt it?

Oh right, I may have derailed your question thread...

Edited by Morzathoth

Well, there exists theories that time as we know it doesnt really exist, there is just movement.

Being perfectly 4D would be weird as you could be anywhen you like, which would do weird things. You would probably start to think of time as just another 'location'. Imagine if everyone could move freely in time, think The Doctor and River had a complicated relationship? XD

I think it would be interesting, you flip and you got a whole different world almost right where your usual world is.

And just to boggle your mind a little more, have a rotating hypercube:

220px-8-cell.gif

Insane, isnt it?

Oh right, I may have derailed your question thread...

I don't mind; theoretical physics is fun. :)