Cosmere and quantum cosmology, and other musings.

Empyrus

I'm not absolutely sure if this should be here or in the Mistborn section. And these are no complete theories, more like observations and parallels. 

Quantum cosmology. Specifically the multiverse theory. It seems to be true in the Cosmere. Consider Allomantic temporal metals. You see possibilities. What may be, what may have been.

Gold specifically is interesting in this regard... for the burner (Mistborn: The Final Empire, page 451, Tor pocketbook) knows certain things the gold-shadow knows, feels what it feels, and so on.

In other words, they look at possible pasts... and presumably there is some sort quantum superposition going on, for some information is shared.

I realized this after reading Alastair Reynolds Revelation Space series, where neural-quantum superposition and information sharing is a plot point. Suddenly the gold-shadow made a lot sense...

Also, Hoid's worldhopping ability and Forgery on Sel.

Apparently it is hinted (in interviews) that Hoid might be able to travel to past though he hasn't done so. Forgery certainly seems to affect past, change the present, so some sort of time travel might be possible in Cosmere.

And this makes me wonder about Atium alloys, which are supposedly various temporal effects. I wonder... could Malatium be some sort Temporal-Cognitive-Atium alloy? And what if there were Temporal-Physical-Atium alloy? Could this change actual physical world by changing it in the past?

The final thing i have in my mind doesn't concern temporal mechanics, rather i wonder if there are Feruchemist savants.

There are Allomantic savants. There is Compounding, boosting Feruchemy via Allomancy. Opposite system is also hinted at, boosting Allomancy via Feruchemy. Only Feruchemist savant is missing.

Miles Dagouter used so much gold healing, due to Compounding, that he didn't feel pain anymore really. I wonder, could that be an effect of Feruchemic savantism?

Allomantic savants suffer from both mental and physiological effects, isn't this the case with Miles too? He acts as if he is immortal, he doesn't feel pain, he probably doesn't even have to really think about tapping his metalminds considering the rate he heals at, and how soon the healing begins.

The best part of this theory is the Quantum cosmology. I think you should lookup more about that, and post a complete sourced theory on it for non-physicists like myself to squee over.

Eh, i'm just a casual reader when it comes to that really. I don't even pretend to understand most of that stuff. My recommendation? Read the Wikipedia article, burn your brain, and just think "what-if parallel universes".

Explaining that stuff verbally (in Finnish, my native tongue) is hard enough, summarizing it in English is much more difficult.

In retrospect i probably should have used "quantum cosmology" in the title..

EDIT and perhaps i meant "many-worlds interpretation"... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

Edited by Empyrus

• Chaos locked this topic