Awakening fabrial? (spoilers)

RadiantNights

I was wondering if maybe someone could build a fabrial that uses storm light to do things that breaths would do like Awakening and such?

This question comes from scene where nalan uses the fabrial to bring szeth back to life. Could that have been a breath fabrial? Could szeth actually be an awakened human like a lifeless from warbreaker?

I was wondering if maybe someone could build a fabrial that uses storm light to do things that breaths would do like Awakening and such?

This question comes from scene where nalan uses the fabrial to bring szeth back to life. Could that have been a breath fabrial? Could szeth actually be an awakened human like a lifeless from warbreaker?

It was a Regrowth fabrial.

Have there been any threads discussing fabrials recently? I was just thinking about the different magic systems on Roshar and discussion about whether fabrials count as a magic system. Most of the ones we've seen in the books have those properties like conjoining and detection, which seem very different from the KR powers we've seen. 

The Regrowth fabrial, however, seems to have direct and powerful access to one of the ten surges. The fabrials used by Soulcasters then must have direct access to the Transformation surge. This really makes me wonder how fabrials relate to the surges. Could the other fabrials we've seen work through more specific/limited access to particular surges? Perhaps the conjoined fabrials relate to Cohesion. The type of gem used might even relate to the KR order (and the surges they have access to). 

PS - Regrowth can definitely bring people back to life if their brain hasn't been destroyed. Lift brings that kid back to life too. 

Yes. As long as their brain is intact, it works, because it's Cognitive healing and can regrow the soul.

Is there a WoB or definitive proof for it?  I just don't recall anything on the subject.

I think that there are two possibilities for Szeth's resurrection.

First - Nalan did in fact use a regrowth fabrial (this is the "dull" option).

Second - Szeth is a returned from Warbreaker.

I think that the first option is the only viable one, even if there's no proof for regrowth's ability to heal a spinal shardblade strike.

Szeth still has his memories, which he would have lost if he was in fact awakened or a returned.

I vaguely recall a Word of Brandon that he was iffy about the Szeth scene, as he didn't want it to be too much like 'reviving characters from the dead' and wanted it to be more like 'he was rescued'. Someone with more motivation than I at the moment should look that up! ^_-

Is there a WoB or definitive proof for it?  I just don't recall anything on the subject.

I think that there are two possibilities for Szeth's resurrection.

First - Nalan did in fact use a regrowth fabrial (this is the "dull" option).

Second - Szeth is a returned from Warbreaker.

I think that the first option is the only viable one, even if there's no proof for regrowth's ability to heal a spinal shardblade strike.

Szeth still has his memories, which he would have lost if he was in fact awakened or a returned.

Well, ordinary Stormlight healing is confirmed to be Cognitive, so Regrowth would probably be an even more powerful version of that. Lift fixing that guy, for example.

Did the kid die before life used regrowth on him? I figured that she only healed his cut throat not totally brought him back to life.

Also side note why did they make the kid the emperor when it was obviously lift who used regrowth? I feel like she got robbed of the throne

Did the kid die before life used regrowth on him? I figured that she only healed his cut throat not totally brought him back to life.

Also side note why did they make the kid the emperor when it was obviously lift who used regrowth? I feel like she got robbed of the throne

No, I don't think he died.

He probably got the throne because... um... the committee members all had cataracts and couldn't tell who was who?  Or maybe they were just feeling extra misogynistic that day.

No, I don't think he died.

He probably got the throne because... um... the committee members all had cataracts and couldn't tell who was who?  Or maybe they were just feeling extra misogynistic that day.

He got the throne because Lift didn't submit an application and wasn't a candidate.

“He performed the miracle of Regrowth,” said one of the older scions. “He was dead and he

returned. What better application could we ask for?”

Lift crawled up to him. His body was still warm, but the blood seemed to have stopped flowing.

His eyes were closed.

I think it is safe to say that Gawx was dead.

I think it is safe to say that Gawx was dead.

Clinically dead, maybe, but even in our world, it is possible to come back from that. Death is a diagnose modern real-world doctors are having increasingly difficulties in defining properly.

Clinically dead, maybe, but even in our world, it is possible to come back from that. Death is a diagnose modern real-world doctors are having increasingly difficulties in defining properly.

Szeth was probably dead to a similar or the same extent.

• Chaos locked this topic