KR Ideals conflicts

WitSpren

I am somewhat concerned with the high number of Windrunner Ideals.     The more oaths that he swears, the more it limits his options of behavior or to develop massive  Catch 22 problems.

Not only that, it gets even worse when you add in other KR types, who swear entirely different KR oaths.    Skybreakers, and Lightweavers are the most obvious KRs with potential conflicts.

Of these Lightweavers seem the most flexible and may be able to work around the issues.

But Windrunners and Skybreakers seem directly in conflict, as the Windrunners want to protect everyone, but the Skybreakers want to "punnish" everyone according to the "Local Laws" which can vary enormously.    If they pass a law that says "nose picking" is a capital offense, then would go out & try to enforce it without any thought of whether the Law is right.

Do we have any clarification (WoB or anything) on this?

Bear in mind that the current Skybreakers are probably not the real KR order but rather a group of Shardbearers following a corrupted version of the Skybreaker Ideals.

We do know that Windrunners and Skybreakers have publicly disagreed about how to deal with supposed criminals, but we don't know exactly how those disagreements were resolved. "Debate" was the word used but that could have been a euphemism.

Bear in mind that the current Skybreakers are probably not the real KR order but rather a group of Shardbearers following a corrupted version of the Skybreaker Ideals.

It's only a speculation at this point that Skybreakers are the order that remained behind after the Recreance.

In Words of Radiance, the book Shallan read, it is said that each order decided for itself where and how to help humanity. Some helped building, some were acting as police, etc. They had their disputes and arguments. It's not uncommon, they are humans after all. As Waith said, we don't know that ended though.

I think a Windrunner would feel duty bound to protect Ym or Lift.  Nalan seems to believe 1) there is no statute of limitations and 2) everything is a capital crime (when it comes to surgebinders).  

Do I think Nalan is following the Skybreaker ideals? I don't know.  He (likely) has no spren. His emphasis on death before life seems to indicate he's lost his way (to say the least).  But it's possible the Skybreakers would see no problem with going after decades old crimes, despite living a clean life for years...

In fact, perhaps that's the dilemma (real) Skybreakers need to deal with, recognizing it's important to temper Justice with mercy, recognition of extenuating circumstances, etc.; as Windrunners need to protect even those they dislike/hate. 

• Chaos locked this topic