Theory: Hoid wanted to release Ruin

Ketek

Hello there guys, I'm new to the site, although I've been lurking for ages.

Anyway, I have an idea as to Hoid's intentions in the Mistborn trilogy - namely that he wanted to release Ruin, instead of stop it, or just gather lerasium.

We have a WoB that Kelsier and Hoid do not get along, and in Words of Radiance, Hoid tells Dalinar that if it suited his purposes, he would let Roshar burn, albeit not without tears. Therefore, it'd make sense that he'd do the same to Scadrial - and maybe he did want to.

Why? Think of it. Preservation was pretty much brain-dead, and even at full power would not have interfered with the Cosmere, due to the Shard's intent. Ruin though... we have another WoB saying that it would have attempted to do the same to the entire Cosmere, to end it all had it managed to do so on Scadrial. 

Odium is imprisoned in the Greater Roshar system, and whoever it was that responded to Hoid's letter (a dragon apparently) felt that it didn't necessitate any sort of interference. But with Ruin released into the Cosmere... it stands to reason that they would have no choice but to act. Maybe Hoid felt it would be easier to persuade them to oppose Odium, had they had a 'test run' of sorts against Ruin.

And perhaps that is why Kelsier doesn't get along with Hoid - it ended well, with two Shards being combined and Scadrial renewed, but it was a risky gamble that threatened to destroy everything the former fought for.

Thoughts?

This does beg a few questions, though:

- Why didn't Hoid use the well himself? He couldn't have known that Vin would released Ruin (as far as we know).

- Why didn't Hoid help Ruin, if he wanted a threat to establish itself in the Cosmere?

The second point might be answered by saying that Sazed's interference was something Hoid couldn't have planning, and it might very well have looked to Hoid that Ruin was going to win. What about the first point?

The Well of Ascension holds only a part of Preservation's power, not a full Shard's (the mists hold the rest). And I think he did know - I wouldn't be surprised if Hoid knew Ruin was changing the prophecy of the Hero of Ages. He may well have been on Scadrial ages ago too, given the apparent relation between the Worldbringers and Worldsingers.

The second - well, would you actively help a godlike power whose main motive is to reduce everyone to their basic components? Even its allies? Just releasing him is enough to sow chaos and perhaps persuade others who oppose Odium in stance, if not action.

This does beg a few questions, though:

- Why didn't Hoid use the well himself? He couldn't have known that Vin would released Ruin (as far as we know).

- Why didn't Hoid help Ruin, if he wanted a threat to establish itself in the Cosmere?

The second point might be answered by saying that Sazed's interference was something Hoid couldn't have planning, and it might very well have looked to Hoid that Ruin was going to win. What about the first point?

You can't say for certain that Hoid wasn't helping Ruin. He's so indirect in Mistborn that it's pretty hard to tell what he's actually up to. Letting Elend know about the Inquisitors certainly put them under the clock, and he may have told Vin some things at their set up meeting that would have led her down the wrong path. All in all, impossible to say.

• Chaos locked this topic