Stormlight and Breaths (Spoilers)

Gamma Fiend

Since it now seems pretty well accepted that Stormlight can substitute Breaths for Investiture, I have a few questions.

If a Drab were to go to Roshar, could they absorb Stormlight from Spheres? And would they be able to gain basically unlimited Breaths?

Also, since we might be seeing Stormlight equivalent of Breaths being used on Roshar, are Breaths the mystical Unit of Measurement Sizgil has been looking for?

If you can gain Breaths from Spheres, how much is 1 Breath in Stormlight? A diamond chip? A broam? Maybe even a full gemheart?

What do you guys think?

From the last paragraph of the book -

' "You'll find God in the same place you're going to find salvation from this mess," Wit said. "Inside the hearts of men." '

sounds an awful lot like hes referring to the small part of honor and cultivation that are apart of all mankind. Similar to a single breath. or in Mistborn when we find out that Preservation  put  a peice of herself into all the people on that world. 

I was just wondering what the differences of sDNA or whatever would effect how people gain Investiture.

We assume Vasher can absorb Stormlight as breaths, so let's make him the base line for our study. How much Stormlight would he need for one breath?

If we find this out (or if characters in the book somehow figure this out), then I really think this could be the form of quantitative property Sizgil has been so desperately searching for.

Then he could do the math to figure out how long Kaladin can stick one-armed Herdazians to the wall!

If Vasher does have near-infinite Breath, then he's got a lot of potential on Roshar.

Remember what the lighteyes do with their dead?  That's a lot of potential army.  On Nalthis, it wouldn't be economically viable, but if he's "refilling" with every Storm, then Breath won't really be a limit.  

If Vasher does have near-infinite Breath, then he's got a lot of potential on Roshar.

Remember what the lighteyes do with their dead?  That's a lot of potential army.  On Nalthis, it wouldn't be economically viable, but if he's "refilling" with every Storm, then Breath won't really be a limit.  

Stormlight still leaks over time. I imagine any Awakening he does will only last a short amount of time on Roshar, unless he uses his Divine Breath.

• 5 months later...

So.... this is going to be a bit of thread-necroing, but I was wondering if we ever got the Ratio from WoB or WoP? I haven't been paying attention to the signing reports, and my Search-fu is rather weak.

I do believe there was some WoB that he did have some sort of Ratio worked out, but wasn't sure if he decided to hold onto it for now and give us a RAFO or whatever.

So.... this is going to be a bit of thread-necroing, but I was wondering if we ever got the Ratio from WoB or WoP? I haven't been paying attention to the signing reports, and my Search-fu is rather weak.

I do believe there was some WoB that he did have some sort of Ratio worked out, but wasn't sure if he decided to hold onto it for now and give us a RAFO or whatever.

I remembered this quote:

Q:  How much Stormlight is equal to one Breath?

A:  This is one of the times I have to go to Peter and say, They're asking, we have to canonize this.

But, then, I found this one as well by accident.  Seems to be an update.

Q:  How much stormlight equals one breath? Do you have an actual ratio?

A:  I have a ratio. It's not on me.

Q:  Okay, that's a Peter question again.

A:  Yeah, well, I may not answer it even then.

Yeah, those were the two WoBs I remember from basically right after Words of Radiance came out, but wasn't sure if people kept bugging asking him about it, or if his second answer may have deterred more people from asking. :P

Either way, I'm still curious as to when we may actually find out the Ratio (as it apparently does exist!).

I still insist that finding out that Ratio will help Sizgil find that golden-method of determining the quantitative effects of Stormlight. (How he had a problem with determining just how much Stormlight was actually in a chip, or a broam, considering all the different variables to take into account, like how cut the Sphere was, how long it had been since it was recharged, what colour the sphere is --if that has any actual effect, etc.)

• Chaos locked this topic