Thoughts on Cohesion

Fifth

I'm about 1/4 of the way through a much slower reread now but has anyone noticed any details on how this surge will work or even solid thoughts on the subject. Currently this is the only surge which I just have Zero idea how it will function.

Looked up a few definitions. here is the google one:

the action or fact of forming a united whole.
"the work at present lacks cohesion"
synonyms: unitytogethernesssolidaritybond, sticking together, continuity,coherenceconnectionlinkage, interrelatedness

This has me wondering if perhaps it can create some kind of "extra" bond between Radiants, sharing experiences/Knowledge/information... power(s), Perhaps something else entirely? Though it could just be a direct opposite of Division and simply joins objects but that seems way too close to adhesion to me

Your thoughts.....?

I put my thoughts down here.

Essentially, I believe it lets you shape objects. Tension sort of alters molecular bonds to make something stiff/floppy, and Cohesion is an alteration on that, allowing you to shift the bonds around and shape a block of metal into a sword, for example. Or raising spikes of stone from the ground. Possibly you could use it to 'cohere' the air, making it a solid barrier, and create a forcefield of sorts.

Thanks for the link sorry for re-posting on something you already started, I do like your deductions too. However again I find that the abilities you give the surge make it too similar to Transformation in practice. Who cares if you can deform objects to new shapes/uses when another surge can simply "create" them from air/stone.

Something about this surge just makes me think of it more like "that group had good Cohesion" as if this surge helps everyone work more as a team. Basically a communication surge but with a name that makes it seem more of a "force".

Thanks for the link sorry for re-posting on something you already started, I do like your deductions too. However again I find that the abilities you give the surge make it too similar to Transformation in practice. Who cares if you can deform objects to new shapes/uses when another surge can simply "create" them from air/stone.

Transformation cannot shape objects, except when it creates them from air, and that shatters gemstones. It's unlikely to be as effective as Cohesion.

Something about this surge just makes me think of it more like "that group had good Cohesion" as if this surge helps everyone work more as a team. Basically a communication surge but with a name that makes it seem more of a "force".

No other Surge has effects that helps other people. Every single Surge affects the Physical world. I am doubtful of any explanation for Cohesion that acts on souls or helps people. The name "Willshapers" implies something about Cohesion, and thinking it can 'shape' objects is the only thing I can think of.

The Ars Arcanum says that it's related to Tension. It's a different version of an "axial" force.

Edited by Moogle

• Chaos locked this topic