[Full Book Spoilers] Hiding Breath

Moogle

Hoid claims to have perfect pitch, which means he has enough Breaths that he should be visibly changing the environment around him. It's like holding Stormlight; it has obvious external effects.

Vasher should have a similar effect, given the strength of his lifesense.

Do people just not notice it? Can Hoid Lightweave it away? Shallan was able to redirect the Stormlight streaming off of her into her illusions, so perhaps Hoid can do the same. Doesn't explain Vasher, though...

If anyone has theories on this, I am extremely curious.

Edited by Moogle

I think Vasher's one is easy - he has a Divine breath,which gives him 5th level heightening.He has also learned to manipulate the breath to change himself - i think it was a matter of perception No one in Warbreaker recognizeses him as a 5thlevel Awakener or a Returned , until he reveals himself at the end.  Now the question is does Vasher needs to recharge on Roshar  every 5 days or every 7 days , or every highstorm ?

edit :I found some quotes from Warbreaker

Vasher closed his eyes.  He didn’t speak, didn’t use his Breath or make a Command.  Yet suddenly, he started to glow.  Not like a lantern would glow, not as the sun glowed, but with an aura that made colors brighter.  Vivenna started as Vasher increased in size.  He opened his eyes and adjusted the wrap at his waist, making room for his growth.  His chest became more firm, the muscles bulging, and the scruffy beard on his face retreated, leaving him clean shaven.

His hair turned golden. 

“You’ve got Returned blood in you,” he said.  “The royal line.  Where do you think that ability to change your hair color comes from?”

“Does that mean I can change more than just my hair?”

“Maybe,” he said.  “Takes time to learn.  Go stroll around the Hallandren Court of the Gods sometime, though.  You’ll find that the gods look exactly as they think they should.  The old ones look old, the heroic ones become strong, the ones who think a goddess should be beautiful become unnaturally voluptuous.  It’s all about how they perceive themselves.”

Hoid is trickier .He probably has more control over his cognitual and spiritual self than Vasher .If he can't hide breath with control alone , he also is an Yolen Lightweaver .He should be able to clothe himself in a permanent illusion like Raoden did on Sel .

Edited by terox

WoB says:

The Divine Breath can be hid. Essentially, you have to view yourself NOT as a god at all, using a very specific bit of mental gymnastics. As a Returned, your body changes based on how you see yourself. (This, by the way, is an indication that Lightsong was more pleased with himself than he ever let on.)

You don't lose your Divine Breath, but it does go into hiding, making you look like a normal person. But you're still Returned, and are consuming a Breath at one a week. If you give away your other Breaths, you retain this hidden one, but your body will still consume its own spirit if left to do so. So you still need a Breath a week to survive, and will die the week you don't get one.

I left this as an intentional place to explore the magic in the sequel, which I had planned to be writing (and posting on my website) by the time Warbreaker was out in stores. The WoT has diverted me, and so I feel bad, since this ends up being a confusing question that a number of readers have had. The hints toward how this is working are very difficult to find. (The biggest one is probably in the opening, where Vasher thinks about how he could reach the Fifth Heightening instantly, if he wanted to.)

• Chaos locked this topic