Who's on the Way Of Kings cover?

dead-moth

Question

So ... I've been wondering this for ages now. Who the devil is the shardbearer on the WoK cover? I think it might be Eshonai (silver shardplate, red crabby thing banner) but I really am not sure. Anyone have any other ideas? 

Is this already a known fact and did I just completely miss it because if so, sling my body into an alien grave! Please tell me. This is killing me

IMG_1287.JPG

15 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

I've always assumed that it was Kaladin and Dalinar. Some people say that it's Eshonai but I wholeheartedly disagree. 

kaladin and .... oh. huh. I thought it was kaladin and eshonai, fight me. 

I guess the lil spear dude in the back kinda has to be Kal. Does anyone else important have a spear? 

The thing that really gets me is the crab cape. It's a beautiful crab cape, but like ...... why wear a crab cape if you are not secretly a crab? 

1 minute ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

The main thing for me is that the sword perfectly matches Oathbringer IIRC. If there's a description of Eshonai's sword that would be key. 

You're right. The sword is pretty darn oathbringery. 

is there a description of eshonai's sword? I'm gonna check the wiki, I don't remember rn

4 minutes ago, dead-moth said:

Right, so. I checked: there's no actual description of Eshonai's sword in the wiki at least. But it does say that she wears a red cloak and silver shardplate. 

Triple post?... You can just edit your previous posts, even on mobile. Just click the edit button at the bottom of the post. Please avoid double posting under most circumstances. Just FYI, not particularly miffed or something.

3 minutes ago, dead-moth said:

Right, so. I checked: there's no actual description of Eshonai's sword in the wiki at least. But it does say that she wears a red cloak and silver shardplate. 

Oh then that's probably her. Though Michael Whelan might not have based this off a character. The armor looks like Eshonai's, but the scene looks like the one where Dalinar killed a bunch of archers and saluted Kaladin. But at that point Kaladin didn't have a spear. So I'm guessing he just drew a mix of a lot of things. 

7 minutes ago, dead-moth said:

i guess i don't actually have to quote people every time i wanna reply to something, huh. ok. 

still figuring out this whole forumy thing, oy

Also, you can use the @. It'll show up as @dead-moth

30 minutes ago, dead-moth said:

So ... I've been wondering this for ages now. Who the devil is the shardbearer on the WoK cover? I think it might be Eshonai (silver shardplate, red crabby thing banner) but I really am not sure. Anyone have any other ideas? 

Is this already a known fact and did I just completely miss it because if so, sling my body into an alien grave! Please tell me. This is killing me

Did some research, and that guy might be Highprince Thanadal's only shardbearer, Brightlord Resi. That sounds very random, but the colors match.

Just now, dead-moth said:

@Djarskublar 

good to know. sorry, haha. 

i am a notorious double-texter and it spills over into other stuff apparently. i will keep this in mind!

@Assassin in Burgundy

that sounds .... very reasonable actually. it would make sense. didn't michael whelan just give brandon the cover art out of the blue or something? 

Yeah, it really isn't a big deal right here. It's your own question thread, after all. If it was in one of my own theory threads, I would have been a little pissed, and asked a mod to merge the posts or something. It still wouldn't have been a major issue, though. Again, it was FYI. There are good reasons to double or triple post on occasion. I have done so myself within the last couple weeks. Perhaps read the posting guide we have pinned on one of the boards somewhere? It has good info so you can preempt other mistakes, I guess. I hope this doesn't come across as confrontational. I'm just trying to help you avoid getting told off by someone less understanding and causing you to stop posting. More posters is good XD

Merging threads is a thing.  Merging posts is...well, if it's possible, I can't see how to do it.

If you find that you've left something out of a post and feel the need to add it before someone else posts on the thread, you can just edit your current post and type more stuff.  It's easy. :)

This comes up now and again. For what it's worth, here's a "heresay" account of what it's theoretically supposed to be:

Micheal Whelan stated (at JordanCon 2013) that the characters were Dalinar (closer) saluting Kaladin. Freelancer@58 is correct that the scene is not textual to the story.

Whether or not this person actually knows what they were talking about, I can't vouch for, as it wasn't me and I wasn't there :)