Question about Shallan's spren

IceBaka

I saw some discussion about Shallan's safehand being gloved in another thread, so I went to Tor.com to see for myself.  While looking at the endpaper of Shallan, I started to focus on the creature next to her on the ledge.

Then I went to the page that shows preliminary sketches by Ben McSweeny and Michael Whelan.  Most of the sketches included a similar looking creature.  That got me thinking that it might be Shallan's spren, Pattern.

I realize that the descriptions of him so far do not support that.  However, it's possible Pattern could experience a physical change.  Syl's appearance doesn't change much, if any, from the first time Kaladin describes her.  But that isn't surprising because she seems to remain largely ephemeral and non-physical, even with her cognitive growth.  (Side note: not sure that it's Cognitive, as in realmatics, but I think it is since the return of her memories allow her a better perspective on how she sees herself.)

Perhaps Pattern will go through development of a physical nature like Syl is undergoing development of a cognitive nature, giving rise to the creature with the arthropod-like appearance in the endpaper.  Honestly, it seems like becoming more physical than cognitive would be a step-down for Pattern at this point, but perhaps some aspect of his bond with Shallan will require or enable such physical changes.  

What do you think?

Well, we know that Pattern is a Cryptic, and we have already seen Cryptics. They have those "glass" robes, human appendages, and symbols for heads. I think Pattern is more likely to end up looking like that in the end. But who knows? Maybe Cryptics have the same shape-changing/disguise powers that Syl has. 

I could be entirely wrong but, from what I remember reading of their pre writing, the initial scene was supposed to show some of the flora and fauna, the cremling in the final picture included. They changed it to her sketching the shattered plains but liked the cremling so left it in the final version.

It would make sense if it was Pattern though. So far he is unable or unwilling to hide from other people which could cause problems for Shallan. She might convince him to make himself look like a cremling to not draw undue attention. I would imagine, for a Cryptic and a lightweaver's spren, hiding in plain sight would be an appealing solution.

• Chaos locked this topic