Musing from the wok teaser: Spern, Shardblades, honorblades

Slay This Rock

I have had this theory for quite a while. I have not got a chance to go through the theories, so if it sounds that I started repeating something you have seen before, just skip it.

It begins with this:

Shardblades does not cut in the reality realm, but cuts things in the congnitve realm - Shadesmar.

Thats could be why it can't be stopped by anything only has realitive realm quality, and can only be deflected by weapons which has the same attribute (i.e. has the properties of shadesmar ). The part of the being that was cut by shardblades is broken congnitively, and cease to being in the realitive realm. Thus rocks disspears where the blade past, hand stopped being hand but a useless piece of bone and meat, and life cease to be life if the body is cut.

Another interesting fact is that the shards appears wherever the owner is. It is always there by your hand, only takes a bit of time to materilize.  If where the blade normally is was explained in the novel, I can not remember. But to me I always think that it exists in the shadsmar (which is not a place, is around us ), waiting to be called, and the 10 heartbeat is the time it takes to crossing that veil.

So..

• Does it also takes 10 heartbeats for Shallan / Jasnah to cross the veil to Shadesmar?
  • Will Shallan be able to locate her shardblade bead in shadesmar?
  • Or, will Shallan be able to find her shardblade nearby materialized already, not as a bead in shadesmar? ( or how else could she cut? )
  • And if she does find the blade, will she be able to use it to cut through the surrounding beads and initialiate a point blank massacre to beings not directly close to her? ( Think of the possibilities.. Shallan the mountail killer, who removes the whole mountain and all life in it in one blow, because she accidently swung her blade in shadesmar )

OK. These are old news, I just re-think them again as I read the teaser.

Here is where things starts to get interesting with the info from the WoR prview..

As sperns are the citizens in shadesmar and shardblade is cutting things in shadesmar, shouldn't shardblades be able to kill spern? ( Syl does not like shardblades at all, so that has a high possibility, but now it almost seems like we are only only waiting for a confirmation ).

And, there's more..

How does Shardblades come to be if it is able to cut in shadesmar? Are shardblades forged by Spern?  Of Spern? Or just reality realm substances infused with spern ( or lots of sperns )?

I am leaning toward the later idea, as the shardblade materializes after bearer is dead. It belongs to the reality realm therefore it stays here when not binded. Being a knockoff of honorblade ( who else but the people in reality realm needs the knockoff? ), it seems to make sense that it was initially made in realityrealm and somehow gained the shadesmar cutting ability.

However honorblade... It dissappears from reality realm when bearer is dead. Could that be because the honorblade origins from shadesmar? ( or even spiritual realm while we are at it )

Now the final blow..

If shardblades's shadesmar qualities comes from adding spern power to the blade, wouldn't it make sence that 'honor" blade, if it is made similarly, is made of / by  / given by "honor" spern?

Or at least honor spern is somewhat attached to honorblade ( like, only the one binded with spern could retrieve it in shadesmar where the honorblades went missing? )

Could it be that Honor spern is special in the world and there are only 10 honor spern in it, each binds an honorblade? ( explains why honor spern is never witnessed, and why they are soo smart and seems to lived for soo long )

Where are you Shallan? Come take Kaladin's hand and go to shadesmar to find those darn blades!

Or Syl, just give Kaladin some blade so he can fight Szeth! But don't you sacrifice yourself while doing so! ( Why do I see Mr Sanderson smiling in a mean way? Someone go rescue Syl! )

Well. these were my musing. What do you think?

First off, it's spren, not spern, and it's the Physical Realm, not the Realitive Realm.

Secondly, don't we have WoB that shardblades deal Spiritual, not Cognitive, wounds? Or am I just imagining that?

Also, a lot of people theorize that the reason honorblades disappear when their owners die is because their owners- the Heralds- don't actually die, but are transported elsewhere, and so the honorblades follow them. If the heralds were to actually die forever, or they aquired a mortal holder who died, then they may well behave like normal shardblades.

But you are on the right track mostly.

• Chaos locked this topic