Shardblades and Odious Investiture

Isomere

This theory is based off two assumptions. 

1. Shardblades originally were designed to pass through most living creatures without hurting them. 
  2. Shardblades were specifically created to destroy investiture from Odium, or creatures with this investiture

I'm envisioning a thunderclast smashing through troops in combat, a radiant comes along and slashes wildly with his shardblade, hacks the rock-beast apart but the allies nearby are protected from instant death since the blade passes right through them instead of shearing off their heads. 

So what changed? Why do they cut the souls of men now? Perhaps it has to do with innate investiture. Odium was not from Roshar, so the people born on the planet did not originally have any of his investiture inside of them. But Odium attuned to the planet in some way. Brandon has confirmed that Odium did certain things which allow people on roshar to access his power. To me this means that people on Roshar are born with a bit of Odious Investiture woven into their soul. Now when a Shardblade passes through a human it detects odium and goes into destroy mode. Basically, I'm suggesting that the Shardblades haven't changed, but the people have changed to allow previously benign blades to kill. 

• Chaos locked this topic