Theory: Why shadesmar is the inversion of the map of the corresponding shardworld

makromag

We know from the Way of Kings, that glassbeads represent objects in the physical realm, in the chapter where Shallan accidentally travels to Shadesmar and performs her first soulcasting

It seemed to come from her hand, and she realized she grapsed something there. One of the beads.

This is where my theory begins:

objects in the physical realm have a cognitive aspect, because they are seen and perceived by humans, they give them their identity. So if there were no people, there would be no beads.

Since the oceans (on Roshar even more so) are uninhabitated, there can be no beads because there are no people to accommodate the creation of beads, the result is "land" in Shadesmar. My interpretation is, that it isn't land like in the physical realm, but one enormous sphere (well, maybe not exactly spherical, but you get the idea). The reason for this is, that people tend to think of oceans as exactly that, one huge mass of water. Many people thing of them and they are always thought of as one complete entity.

This theory has it's weaknesses, for example I can't explain why the clearlake  is a mountain in Shadesmar. My only theory on that is, that more people think of the clearlake than of the oceans, because people live there. In the interlude with Ishikk you can see, that he thinks of the lake quite frequently, so maybe its cognitive aspect is even greater than that of an ocean.

The fires in the cognitve realm are people and the sun is the representation of a shard.

The fires could also be spren, invisible in the real world, but perfectly visible as tiny flames, since they are the represantation of a concept.

Those last two are completely baseless, simply stated for the wholeness of my theory.

I hope this theory hasn't been posted yet, if so I am sorry.

So then, what do you guys think? Anything that is condraticted by WoB?

Edited by Makromag

The 'one large bead = land' thing seems fairly solid.  One thing to note is that space and distances inside shadesmar are weird.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/1a3fj0/discussion_of_the_week_shadesmar_truthspren/c8vet5f

There are many ways to enter Shadesmar. You'll see more of this in the future. One thing to keep in mind about Shadesmar is that space where things are thinking is expanded, while space where there is nothing to think is contracted. In other words, in an empty void, you get almost no Shadesmar. This makes distances as we think of them very different there.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

• Chaos locked this topic