Shai: Possible Member of the Seventeenth Shard?

Iredomi

I was just thinking after reading through Emperor's Soul about how Shai wanted to find Hoid. And I was wondering if she got further than expected due to her wide realmatic knowledge and if by some chance she got involved with the Seventeenth Shard who also seem intent on finding Hoid. I don't really know where I'm going with this but I think she would be a prime candidate to be one of their members. 

Anyway what do we think Hoid's relationship with the Seventeenth Shard is it seems like they're against each other. He's meddling and they would like him stop. Who do we think is in the right Hoid or the Seventeenth Shard? And what could their ultimate goal be. 

This is what I think. I reckon someone from Yolen is at the head of Seventeenth Shard and was once friends with Hoid. Perhaps they began working together a long time ago after the events of the Shattering maybe even before then. And something changed maybe the shattering or maybe something we don't know about. Well Hoid saw that it was absolutely necessary to stop whatever was going on in the universe, perhaps the ascension of Odium was a prime catalyst for this. So Hoid and the Seventeenth Shard who are still working together tentatively go to Sel to stop that crap going down but fail. This encourages the Seventeenth Shard group to stop interfering as things went pretty terribly and this causes the major split between the two. 

I'm not sure on who is right but I would lean towards both of them being of fairly honourable intentions who just have a disagreement over method. 

Anyway the selection of Galladon and Demoux is interesting to say the least because neither of them seem particularly powerful to me so maybe they're only the scouts for the group as you don't send your strongest people ahead normally. So this to me shows that they aren't that interested in getting to Hoid. Of course this is all pretty much guess work. But it shows that the Seventeenth Shard have other things going.

I know we don't have much evidence either way but I just thought it would be interesting to hear other's opinions on this. Who's good who's bad or otherwise why were they chosen and such.

Oh and this raises another question do we know if Yolen is still habitable? Because I was thinking the new base of operations could possibly be Sel due to it being apparently one of the most advanced planets in the Cosmere at the moment. 

Edited by Iredomi

Yolen is probably still habitable because the main five book Dragonsteel sequence occurs there centuries after Liar of Partinel.

I wouldn't think of Galldon and Demoux as terribly weak, personally. Assuming Demoux has access to atium, that's one of the more potent non-Mistborn abilities. Galladon, assuming he's gotten better at AonDor after all these years could be majorly dangerous as well. We don't really know anything about Blunt, so there's a possibility that he's fairly powerful in his own right.

I think there's also a fairly good possibility that the Seventeenth Shard don't know for sure where Hoid is, and have simply sent scouts to all the major Shardworlds chasing rumors about a man with an arrow-like face.

Back a bit more on topic, I said the same thing a while ago about Shai, I see her being a member of the Seventeenth Shard as a real possibility. I wonder if you could create a soulstamp that kept you younger? It would stretch the bounds of plausibility, so probably not.

Well, Shai wants him pretty much because he set her up to be caught.  We didn't even get confirmation that Hoid was in the book until afterwards when Sanderson confirmed that he was the one that set her up.  I don't know many people that wouldn't want to have a talk with someone that set them up to be caught for something.  That does not mean she has anything to do with the 17th.

I'm not saying that she had something to do with the Seventeenth Shard before her capture, but if you're a competent person, which Shai is, hunting after a man that another organization is known to be looking for, there's always the chance that they would end up crossing paths.

I'm not saying that she had something to do with the Seventeenth Shard before her capture, but if you're a competent person, which Shai is, hunting after a man that another organization is known to be looking for, there's always the chance that they would end up crossing paths.

I consider this to be easily the most likely.  If Shai starts sending out feelers on Sel, it wouldn't be remotely surprising for the 17th Shard to find her and interact with her, especially given her stunning expertise on Forgery.

• Chaos locked this topic