space travel with cadmium

SOM1else

• 2 weeks later...

From our experience with Duralumin, the duration of the effects doesn't change, just the power.  So, rather than time stopping for an indefinite period, you'd just experience a lot of time while the rest of the world experienced very little.

This does raise interesting possiblities, however.  Strong enough bendalloy="The Worthing Saga" (where a society is based on functional "immortality" created by putting people in suspended animation), and strong enough cadmium = "Inception"(It would suck to accidentally burn duralumin, and have to wait for the world to catch up). 

yes but if you burned duralamun the effects of cadmium would cause time to move even slower and the metal would be burned slower because of time being slower, the way i think of it the harder you flare it the longer it would last, so duralimun could potentially cause time to stop

The problem I see with this is that the idea that flaring cadmium makes it last longer goes against every other thing we've seen.  I do think I understand where our difference of opinion comes from, though.  It all depends on the metals effect on the one burning it.

In my mind, the person burning the metal slows down/speeds up along with the bubble that they are pulling.  (My last post was actually wrong-I got Bendalloy and cadmium mixed up).  This means that from the perception of the allomancer, flaring cadmium makes it burn much more quickly, but instead of taking the rest of the world going 2 seconds to your 1 second, the rest of the world would go 1 minute to your 1 second. 

To put it another way, I see it kind of like changing video playback speed.  If I play a DVD back at 2x, from the perspective of the movie, time in my living room is going at 1/2 speed.  From my perspective, the movie is going twice as fast as normal, but my perception of my own speed is unchanged. 

• Chaos locked this topic