Adonalsium Connections

ReaderAt2046

This theory will answer two major questions:

1. Why did the Shards end up on the worlds they did? Brandon has confirmed that they had a lot of choice, but it wasn't absolute.

2. Brandon has confirmed that all ten shardworlds were named before the Shattering. Who named them and why?

Alright. My theory is that the people of Origin (whatever planet Adonalsium was on before the Shattering) had developed a way to open magical connections between worlds. (Sort of like in Defending Elysium, where it's mentioned that one alien race discovered FTL travel before inventing the steam engine). The ten shardworlds are the ten worlds that Origin was linked to, and they had been named because people already explored there.

Right after the Shattering, the new Shards were able to travel down any one of the links. At the same time, the repurcussins of the Shattering destroyed Origin (thus severing the links) and killed everybody except the Shards.

This definitely a decent idea. I've got a couple of comments and questions I'd like to say. One is that I'm not sure that Andonalsium was ever "on" a Shardworld, I kind of pictured it as being everywhere and everything. Perhaps, what's left of Andonalsium's body makes up the Spiritual Realm. Also I was under the impression that the Dragonsteel world Yolen is basically the Origin. that you speak of.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a point in the favor of your theory is that no technology is required for shadesmar travel. It could be that someone stumbled upon it and then showed everyone how to do it. Therefore the earliest humans dabbling in magics they didn't understand could worldhop.

This definitely a decent idea. I've got a couple of comments and questions I'd like to say. One is that I'm not sure that Andonalsium was ever "on" a Shardworld, I kind of pictured it as being everywhere and everything. Perhaps, what's left of Andonalsium's body makes up the Spiritual Realm. Also I was under the impression that the Dragonsteel world Yolen is basically the Origin. that you speak of.

Well, it actually isn't necessary for the links to be down (maybe that's how Hoid and his followers get between worlds, now that I think of it.) I just needed a reason why the Shards couldn't use those links to jump between worlds and look for more auspicious combinations.

CHAOS

Can Sazed "will" himself to any Shardworld if he so desires?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, he has the capacity for it. However, will he? Don't know. If he did there would be a lot of ramifications for it...

Ancient 17th Shard Q&A

It appears that Shards can go wherever they want now that they've arrived on their world, they don't need any magical portals. A couple of other questions. Why do there need to be magical connections if people can just use Shadesmar to worldhop? Also if the Shattering killed everyone, why are there people on worlds without Shards? Unless you meant only the people on the linked worlds were killed?

Edited by Windrunner

It appears that Shards can go wherever they want now that they've arrived on their world, they don't need any magical portals. A couple of other questions. Why do there need to be magical connections if people can just use Shadesmar to worldhop? Also if the Shattering killed everyone, why are there people on worlds without Shards? Unless you meant only the people on the linked worlds were killed?

I don't think everybody has the power to worldhop. The point is that anybody could use these links, not just those with the worldhopping magic. And yes, only those on the linked worlds were killed.

• Chaos locked this topic