Incorrect citations in Herald articles

Inquisitor #5

So, I was trying to find some details for another post, and discovered that at least two articles about the Heralds (Kalak and Jezrien) have citations pointing to the wrong chapters.

Jezrien's article has this, on his apperance:

Spoiler

Screenshot_20211118-152741_Chrome.thumb.jpg.10a23b36e791fa5ae13f09df9bc763d6.jpg

As seen in the picture, citation 6 points to Oathbringer, chapter 38.

However, after a lot of poring over it, I could not find any of these details in said chapter, indeed, Jezrien doesn't show up in it at all.

I think this has been muddied by this chapter being one where Dalinar is interacting with other people inside the vision of Aharietiam, just like the chapter where these details actually appear, chapter 42.

Similarly, Kalak's article has this:

Spoiler

Screenshot_20211118-153447_Chrome.thumb.jpg.329e4814af4173d04fcc3a100eee02ed.jpg

Rhythm of War, chapter 90 does contain the violet robes, but the comparison to a city administrator is found in chapter 82.

As a sidenote, I don't think that the reference to the violet robes is enough to support a declarative statement.

He'd changed into official-looking violet robes, a marked difference from yesterday. Did that mean he was taking this more seriously?

-Rhythm of War, chapter 90

Ehh, I don't know the right way to correct this, but I trust that other people do.

¤_¤

Hey, thanks for reporting these, and also doing a bit of extra work to find the correct citations!

Let me start addressing this by saying that the Coppermind is a public wiki and everyone can help keep it accurate (in fact, we kind of depend on that, because there's only a handful of regular contributors). As it turns out, updating citations, especially from chapter to another, is one of the easiest changes you can make - so let me walk you through the process, in case you find any other issues like that. If you touch the pencil icon (or click on the Edit button) next to the section you want to edit, you should see something like this:

=== Appearance ===
Jezrien has dark eyes{{book ref|sa3|38}} and black hair.{{book ref|sa1|part=prelude}}  He is tall and appears almost [[Alethi]], although his skin is a little darker than a typical Alethi man and his features are slightly off.{{book ref|sa3|38}} As a Herald, Jezrien appears to be about thirty years old and wore a short, neatly-trimmed black beard.{{book ref|sa1|part=prelude}} He stands confidently{{book ref|sa3|38}} with a royal bearing.

The {{book ref|sa3|38}} there at the end is what generates the citation - "book ref" to create a reference to a specific book, "sa3" is our special code for Oathbringer, and 38 for chapter 38. So if you wanted to change that to 42, all you'd need to do is update the number.

Would you like to try your hand at this? You don't have to, but for things like these, it's often both easier and faster for the person spotting the error to fix it, than to write a report and wait on the regular editors to pick it up.

23 minutes ago, Argent said:

Hey, thanks for reporting these, and also doing a bit of extra work to find the correct citations!

No problem. :)

24 minutes ago, Argent said:

Let me start addressing this by saying that the Coppermind is a public wiki and everyone can help keep it accurate (in fact, we kind of depend on that, because there's only a handful of regular contributors).

Fair, fair. Happy to help when I can.

27 minutes ago, Argent said:

The {{book ref|sa3|38}} there at the end is what generates the citation - "book ref" to create a reference to a specific book, "sa3" is our special code for Oathbringer, and 38 for chapter 38. So if you wanted to change that to 42, all you'd need to do is update the number.

OK, awesome, that's really clear. Without this info I'd probably have been too afraid to touch anything in any kind of brackets... 

28 minutes ago, Argent said:

Would you like to try your hand at this? You don't have to, but for things like these, it's often both easier and faster for the person spotting the error to fix it, than to write a report and wait on the regular editors to pick it up.

Done. :)

Happy to do it now that I know how.

¤_¤