Aviar talents a result of passive investiture?

Trusk'our

Question

Allomancers, surgebinders, and most other magic users need an influx of kinetic investiture in order to use their abilities, but it seems that aviar talents don’t. So, does this mean that Aviar grant their talents to people as a passive effect of having static investiture, similar to the heightenings of Nalthian awakeners?

5 answers to this question

Hmm... I don't think so. Seems more like spren bonds, but not on the level of Radiant Nahel Bonds. The White Sand microorganisms also work via Bonds, as per WoBs. Passive benefits would require more Investiture, I think, and would be less varied among the Aviar, who seem to be generally around the same level, possibly minus cases like Sak.

9 hours ago, Honorless said:

Hmm... I don't think so. Seems more like spren bonds, but not on the level of Radiant Nahel Bonds. The White Sand microorganisms also work via Bonds, as per WoBs. Passive benefits would require more Investiture, I think, and would be less varied among the Aviar, who seem to be generally around the same level, possibly minus cases like Sak.

So, if that's the case, then how do aviar get this extra investiture to make the powers work? In Sixth of the Dusk, I don't recall the aviar needing to do anything to make their abilities work other than being alive.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:19 AM, Trusk'our said:

So, if that's the case, then how do aviar get this extra investiture to make the powers work? In Sixth of the Dusk, I don't recall the aviar needing to do anything to make their abilities work other than being alive.

Whenever an entity is granting another entity the ability to use magic, there's Spiritual Connection involved and the two (or more) entities share some kind of Bond. Like the Knights Radiant and their spren or even the lichen and Sand Masters.

Kokerlii's breed does seem to create a... Coppercloud like effect from how Sixth seems to think of them. And Sixth thinks that the Aviar around Patji's Pool should shield them and they did seem to. Sak's ability seems to require a bond though.

My guess is the parasite itself might also have a Bond of some kind with the bird. The parasites do come from trees growing around a Perpendicularity, they might get altered by the exposure to that much Investiture, though I think it's more likely that they need the Investiture for their life processes before they get inside the bird.

The Aviar don't seem to require Investiture as fuel, so they probably have a direct conduit to the power, like Elantrians, the Heralds or technically the Mistborn and Mistings (their Spiritwebs and the metals act as keys to Preservation's power sort of)

Hopefully something we'll learn in the sequel (if you didn't know, there's a reading from the sequel on the Arcanum). You can read it here: 

Edited by Honorless
added a few things

12 hours ago, Honorless said:

Whenever an entity is granting another entity the ability to use magic, there's Spiritual Connection involved and the two (or more) entities share some kind of Bond.

That does not answer the question on where the fuel comes from. In addition to a spren bond you need Stormlight.

On 15.11.2021 at 11:54 PM, Trusk'our said:

Alllomancers, surgebinders, and most other magic users need an influx of kinetic investiture in order to use their abilities, but it seems that aviar talents don’t. So, does this mean that Aviar grant their talents to people as a passive effect of having static investiture, similar to the heightenings of Nalthian awakeners?

The Fused do not. No Selish magic does. Aviars seem to be similar to those. That is they are on a direct but limited power supply. It looks like you can overstress your Aviar and it will need to recuperate. That is not possible with Awakenung or Lifesense.

On 11/17/2021 at 0:46 PM, Oltux72 said:

The Fused do not. No Selish magic does. Aviars seem to be similar to those. That is they are on a direct but limited power supply. It looks like you can overstress your Aviar and it will need to recuperate. That is not possible with Awakenung or Lifesense.

Ather of the Night spoiler:

Spoiler

In Ather of the Night, the athers worked after a similar fashion; the people bonded to them could use the power whenever they wanted, but their athers would get tired from this, and the more powerful they were, the less quickly they got tired, and the more they could accomplish.