#1 Taln Fan

Jorgen Pronunciation - Poll

How is Jorgen’s name pronounced?   74 members have voted

1. 1. Jorgen is pronounced:

• Hard J, like Jam or Jelly. Jor-gin
    • A Yuh sound, like Jasnah or Yolish. Your-gin

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 posts in this topic

The pronunciation of Jorgen’s name is a highly debated topic at times, and I’d like to make a poll to see what people think. 

I don’t care one way or the other. I listen to the audible books though because it’s the only way I have time for much reading any more and they use the hard J sound. That being said, it reminds me or a more German/Scandinavian name which would have the Y sound so… 

I pronounce it with a hard "J", which my wife made fun of me for while watching the latest season of Great British Baking Show since there is a contestant with the same name. 

Huh. I have been pronouncing it Scandinavian-style "Yorgen", but "Jasnah" I thought was with a hard J, "Jazz-nah".

Are those the audiobook pronunciations then? "Djorgen" and "Yasnah"?

Hard J

By "soft J," do people mean a "zh" sound, as in beige? I pronounce it with a hard J, but that may be because I've listened to the audio.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Johnny Boy said:

By "soft J," do people mean a "zh" sound, as in beige? I pronounce it with a hard J, but that may be because I've listened to the audio.

"y"

Ee-uhr-jin

Edited by Ookla the Confused

Jorr-gunn     ("J" like in Jasnah, = Jazz-nuh)

Like, Jason Write is Jason, not Yason; and Robert Jordan is Jordan, not Yordan.

Edited by Iarwainiel I

In Brandon's spoiler stream last night, Adam pronounced Jorgen as "Yorr-gen." I previously voted for "Jorr-gen" in this thread's poll but I'm switching to the other pronunciation now :D

Posted (edited)

I listened to the British audiobook, the Sophie Aldred version, and she pronounces it with the "Yuh." I didn't realize how it was spelled for the longest time!

Funnily enough, for the space of the first two books, I also assumed that Sophie Aldred's pronunciation of "Spensa" was just her accent pronouncing "Spencer".

As for Alanik, I actually pictured it as a kind of French-style "Arlanique"--which is also a rather nice name, now that I write it out. I should use it somewhere myself.

Edited by Aria

I like to imagine that his name is supposed to be pronounced with a y-sound to go with his originally intended callsign (Jaeger) but once Spensa's nickname of Jerkface caught on, everyone started pronouncing it with a hard J so it matched the callsign.

On 12/17/2021 at 6:39 AM, NorthStar said:

In Brandon's spoiler stream last night, Adam pronounced Jorgen as "Yorr-gen." I previously voted for "Jorr-gen" in this thread's poll but I'm switching to the other pronunciation now :D

I was wondering how there could be confusion on this point, but then I realized...

On 5/19/2022 at 4:00 PM, Weltall said:

I like to imagine that his name is supposed to be pronounced with a y-sound to go with his originally intended callsign (Jaeger) but once Spensa's nickname of Jerkface caught on, everyone started pronouncing it with a hard J so it matched the callsign.

That's perfect! Spensa saw his name in print first, right? On the paper she picked up of the cadet admissions examination she hadn't been allowed to sit for?

Another reason for Jorgen to reset his cruel nickname, haha. As if he needed more.

BTW this caused me to go back and re-read "Skyward" for the first time in a while, and man it is a fun re-read (and a bit heart-wrenching) after fairly recently reading Evershore!

I read it with a hard J. the audiobook also has a hard J.

51 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

My friend pronounced it Jordan

...please tell me there is an understandable reason for this.

Wait, Jasnah´s name is pronounced with a soft J?