Hemalurgy gives me bad ideas

Dapper Phoenix

This idea came to me as I was listening to Swedish war metal on my way home from work. Is it hemalurgically possible to steal abilities from someone who had not yet had the chance to use/manifest them... such as a baby? In a similar vein, could you spike a pregnant woman through her stomach and (with enough precision) transfer her abilities directly to her baby? What would spiking a person that young even do to them? If both the woman and the baby had abilities and you spiked the woman, whose abilities would you get? How far from the baby do you have to spike to make sure you get the woman’s... you know what, I didn’t mean to get this close to political debate. Sorry.

Yes, entirely. Vin's Earring took powers from a baby.  It is confirmed that you cannot steal with an already charged spike, If you tried to spike into a baby pre-birth, it would either steal something (roll of the dice) from the mother and kill her, and implant it into the baby, or else miss the mother's bind points and steal something from the baby (likely killing both).  

5 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

You don’t really have a body to bind to at conception…

And yet it works

Spoiler

Satsuoni

From which stage of development does human embryo on Scadrial gain Hemalurgic potential?

Brandon Sanderson

Conception.

/r/fantasy AMA 2013 (April 15, 2013)

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

And yet it works

Hide contents

Satsuoni

From which stage of development does human embryo on Scadrial gain Hemalurgic potential?

Brandon Sanderson

Conception.

/r/fantasy AMA 2013 (April 15, 2013)

I really, really want to know how you find the bindpoints on a single cell. On the plus side, that’s a great method for ethical hemalurgy - stab embryos in Petri dishes. (Assuming one has no issues with using excess embryos for science, which I don’t.)

13 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I really, really want to know how you find the bindpoints on a single cell.

I haven't the faintest idea.

13 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

On the plus side, that’s a great method for ethical hemalurgy - stab embryos in Petri dishes. (Assuming one has no issues with using excess embryos for science, which I don’t.)

How about we don't bring that discussion here.

Edited by Frustration

• 1 month later...