Alt Text and Image Descriptions

PandACT

@cosmere_play mentioned alt text in the news post about updated logos, and I wasn't sure if I should hijack that comment section or start a thread, so I did both!

I'm not blind, and I don't use screen readers, but it would be great to hear from anyone who does! Or, y'know, if there are any consultants to suggest hiring :3
(@sugjesstive works with an IT company where they add alt text, and they agree that fans working together would be easier and better than getting automatic software!)

My suggestions:

• captions for images on forum posts, or add a reminder when the title field of an image is empty
  • check the navigation links to make sure screen readers know their function (notifications, messages, and more apparently only say "link" on mobile or PC)
  • encourage Coppermind images to work with Wikipedia's style guide for alt text

I could've just missed all of these because I don't know what I'm doing, but the floor is open! 

EDIT: @LewsTherinTelescope pointed out that you can fill the title field by double-clicking images, which makes the first bullet easier!

17th Shard, the official Brandon Sanderson fansite I used title text here, as the logo correctly reads now: "link: 17th Shard, the official Brandon Sanderson fansite. alt 1".

On an article about the new logo designs, you could describe it instead;
"old logo: a shard of blue glass under a black number 17 stylized with cracks as if shattered. Text of different colors reads: 17TH SHARD THE OFFICIAL BRANDON SANDERSON FANSITE"
"new logo: a blue triangle with a bright yellow piece breaking off at the top. Dark blue text says: 17TH SHARD and below it, THE OFFICIAL BRANDON SANDERSON FANSITE with the name Brandon Sanderson in yellow"

Edited by PandACT
Compiled details from other comments

Hey, super excited to see this thread!

Know that I'm down to help out with this overhaul/project, if and when the time comes! :) Quick note, for the sake of transparency: I don't quite work for an SEO company; I actually work for an IT company and do 100% of all the marketing, which includes our website management + SEO + alt text + meta descriptions + blah-blah-blah. 

Now, just shooting the rust, but I definitely recommend hashing out an order/process plan for how you'd like to go about getting this done, in an ideal world. 

(For example: The forums will, by far, be the most difficult place to introduce alt text because every single new post can include an infinite # of images. Whereas the Arcanum and Coppermind will have lots of photos, but not many new posts — so the scale of the projects will remain consistent.)

Thank you @PandACT for considering this. I've started a project on ao3 doing image descriptions of Shallan's sketchbook, and found that there were a few people very happy to have them, so it's on my mind as an accessibility consideration. Unfortunately that's about as far as I go in terms of skills to bring to the table.

22 hours ago, cosmere_play said:

Thank you @PandACT for considering this. I've started a project on ao3 doing image descriptions of Shallan's sketchbook, and found that there were a few people very happy to have them, so it's on my mind as an accessibility consideration. Unfortunately that's about as far as I go in terms of skills to bring to the table.

Sounds like a perfect set of skills! The biggest community front is the Coppermind, where most text has transcripts, but there's lots of room for editors to add alt text!
If I were to make a plan like the sugjesstive suggested, I'll start by thinking about image descriptions for the Stormlight notebook pages.
Even a little accessibility will hopefully start a positive loop where more people want to contribute :D

21 hours ago, PandACT said:

Sounds like a perfect set of skills! The biggest community front is the Coppermind, where most text has transcripts, but there's lots of room for editors to add alt text!
If I were to make a plan like the sugjesstive suggested, I'll start by thinking about image descriptions for the Stormlight notebook pages.
Even a little accessibility will hopefully start a positive loop where more people want to contribute :D

I think beginning with the Stormlight notebook pages could be an amazing first step.

It's relevant, and important in-world — and something that certain readers just can't experience. Yet