LIMBO

Goob

3 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"You conceive it to be like another place entirely." I respond. "Not like here."

"Well, uh..." I pause to consider telling this person this was a dream. 

Eh, why not.

"Well this place is a dream, and you're a part of my subconscious. I mean, what else could it be? Look around."

2 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"How can your subconscious know that it is your subconscious?"

Was my semester long philosophy class from my junior year coming back to haunt me or something?

"Well, it's not my subconscious. It's my conscious- me- recognizing that this is ridiculous and therefore not real."

Edited by AmazingGoob

17 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Then why is it that I can think? Or what you call 'thinking'?" I frown, my soul displaying in my own language the idea of confusion. "Am I, perhaps, unreal?"

Okay, this was getting creepy. "I... Uh... I mean... this might not be a dream? I sure hope it is because it would destroy my worldview if it wasn't. Uh... who knows, this might be YOUR dream, ha ha." Desperate to change the subject, I ask, "So... what's your name?"

"A name? A label. An identification." I think. "From what your 'soul' believes, I am called God. An all-powerful being; but all-knowing. I don't know everything... or perhaps I do, as there aren't many things for me to know here." I send off the image of confusion. "Perhaps for now you could call me what you please."

27 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"A name? A label. An identification." I think. "From what your 'soul' believes, I am called God. An all-powerful being; but all-knowing. I don't know everything... or perhaps I do, as there aren't many things for me to know here." I send off the image of confusion. "Perhaps for now you could call me what you please."

Alright, enough was enough. I reach out using my dream powers to... I don't know make this guy less creepy and existential? I mean, this still was just a figment, right?
But nothing happened. I tried again, closing my eyes and concentrating. But still, nothing. I open my eyes and step back, looking back around at the land of Nothing. Was this some sort of nightmare, luring me in with promises of lucidity before descending into fear in a couple moments? Was this some sort of fever dream? The first question that appeared in my mind when I first arrived showed up in my head again.
Was I dead?
No, no no no. I wasn't coming to that conclusion, especially when there were other explainations.
I turned back to... the person. I wasn't quite comfortable calling him God so I decided to keep calling him the name I made up for them. "Inventor! If this isn't a dream, where is it?!"

I change confusion to curiosity. "What is this idea you present? A thing called fear? You come from... not here? Or perhaps you do, but with a false memory?" Displaying my form not unlike this other entity's for a moment, I look down at myself. "A body. A physical thing for a physical world. Here needn't be that way." I reflect the symbol of comfort displayed earlier on this other person: a smile, as they call it. "I do not know what this place is. I wasn't told. It seems to be a blank slate: someplace vast and empty, if vastness and emptiness were things yet."

The 'body' is uncomfortable. All the systems--an epidermis over layers of tissue and fat, muscles built across bones, 'organs' working from moment to moment just to keep this creature alive--were admirably complex, but unnecessary. The lungs to bring in the physical thing 'air,' the heart to push in and pull out liquid, the blood to bring energy to every microscopic creature building up this person. So many things have to go right in order for it to work: if their multicellular antibody systems make one small mutation, they will destroy the body from the inside. If the bones take too much force, they will crack. The eyes can see, but can be blinded from seeing too much. The ears can hear, but can be deafened from hearing too much. The stomach could be ruptured and leak its lethal acid to the rest of the system, leaving internal scars and making it impossible to take in physical edibilities to provide energy to the body. 

Why so many capacities? I think. Why was this developed? If it is all so important, why was it built so fragile?

I dissolve what they call a body and return to my original state. "It is a place for the likes of us to create. Do join me, 'human,' and perhaps we can build a better system than the one that you yourself live in."

Taking one last bite of the cookie, I decided to follow the example of the Cookie Creator and fade out of my limiting physical form back into the form that I began my existance. I have mentally recovered, and am ready to once again take advantage of the creative potential of this place.

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

I dissolve what they call a body and return to my original state. "It is a place for the likes of us to create. Do join me, 'human,' and perhaps we can build a better system than the one that you yourself live in."

ok I admit that I wished for a semi serious rp when I posted LIMBO but apparently it was a monkey's paw I was wishing to

@Mage

I yelp at the sight of the Inventor's melting body. "No thanks!" I say, beginning to blink rapidly, desperately trying to wake. Nothing. I start to scramble backwards, away from the thing- If ai couldn't wake up, I would just have to run until I do!

But where would I run? There was nowhere to hide and I don't think my stamina would outlast whatever this Lovecraftian being is.

Then I remember. The meadow guy! I run over to the fold and begin to bang on the metaphysical 'door'.

1 minute ago, AmazingGoob said:

Probably.

I looked and saw what would be, I spoke, a simple command, and yet of singular importance.

"Be."

With that one word, I wrote the laws of matter, I structured the power of minds, I regulated the feilds of emotion, and sculpted the form of spirits.

The foundation was layed, now to build the universe.

20 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I looked and saw what would be, I spoke, a simple command, and yet of singular importance.

"Be."

With that one word, I wrote the laws of matter, I structured the power of minds, I regulated the feilds of emotion, and sculpted the form of spirits.

The foundation was layed, now to build the universe.

Woah woah woah buddy slow down. You can't just be the one who does all that- especially the power of minds part. That's just an inherent part of LIMBO.

what I'm saying is that you can't be god. LIMBO, as a universe, is a collaborative project, yes?

Edited by AmazingGoob

26 minutes ago, AmazingGoob said:

I kind of assumed that we were all like above the rules, these would be rules for the people we created rather than us.

Think of it more as, "I make a magic system, and earthlike particle physics"

Edited by Frustration

I opened my door to the Philosopher/Dreamer and recreate a physical form.

”Hello. I think I have this place figured out. Maybe... we began existing here, and imbedded within our consciousness was memories. Perhaps real. Perhaps fake. Of a past as a mortal. You simply regained these memories quicker than I. You still think of yourself as a mortal whereas I got used to the idea of being a Limbo entity. My memories however are returning and it is disturbing.”

I resumed a non physical state. I had projected more confidence than I felt. I really knew nothing about this strange existence. Hopefully it gave some direction to the poor man though.

10 minutes ago, Frustration said:

"Maybe for you, I think, I have always been like this." I said, watching large particles decay.

“Oh my apologies. I did not mean you my friend. I was speaking to our other friend who believes he is a human dreaming. As for whether these memories are fabrications I know not. Only that some of us remember things from a life that is not this.”

11 minutes ago, Mage said:

“Oh my apologies. I did not mean you my friend. I was speaking to our other friend who believes he is a human dreaming. As for whether these memories are fabrications I know not. Only that some of us remember things from a life that is not this.”

Things that are not this?

I looked, and saw only this, if there was something other than this it was beyond me.

"Is it impossible that these are not memories of the past, but rather things that are yet to come?"

42 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Oh, I see. You aren't acting as a god of a universe- you're just characters, with mildly god-like powers, at least for now. I didn't clarify this in the OP (which I probably should've) but you can't actually create any new intelligences.
I pictured this as more of a city builder, with us as the founders. If you saw before, our powers will weaken as influence of LIMBO is divided up between more and more people entering into the world.

34 minutes ago, Mage said:

I opened my door to the Philosopher/Dreamer and recreate a physical form.

”Hello. I think I have this place figured out. Maybe... we began existing here, and imbedded within our consciousness was memories. Perhaps real. Perhaps fake. Of a past as a mortal. You simply regained these memories quicker than I. You still think of yourself as a mortal whereas I got used to the idea of being a Limbo entity. My memories however are returning and it is disturbing.”

I resumed a non physical state. I had projected more confidence than I felt. I really knew nothing about this strange existence. Hopefully it gave some direction to the poor man though.

"W-what?" I was getting more confused at the moment. Maybe this wasn't a dream...
For now I decided to assume the worst. If I woke up suddenly, all was well. But if this wasn't a dream... well, I'd despair over that later.
"Can I stay here, for now? The Inventor melted, and I think he wanted me to melt as well."
I decided to call this one the Meditator, as he seemed rather... monklike.

Edited by AmazingGoob

6 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

"W-what?" I was getting more confused at the moment. Maybe this wasn't a dream...
For now I decided to assume the worst. If I woke up suddenly, all was well. But if this wasn't a dream... well, I'd despair over that later.
"Can I stay here, for now? The Inventor melted, and I think he wanted me to melt as well."
I decided to call this one the Meditator, as he seemed rather... monklike.

*Sad Shard noises* ok

My appologies.

Edited by Frustration

I'm the meditator? We need to get some consistent names going here. But I like this one.

"I think the one you call the inventor, is simply trying to reach the fullest potential of what is possible in this place. That can't happen when he is constrained by a physical body. This place is a limbo of sorts. A blank slate, upon which we are artists. Creating. We do not have all power, despite what some may think *cough*Frustration*cough* but there are many things we can do. There is peace here in my meadow. But there is potential outside of it. They are not mutually exclusive though."

As my memories kept returning, I realized that I was a monk in the life before. If that life existed at all and was not some sort of fabrication to rationalize a spontaneous beginning of existance.