Cytonic and Evershore Predictions

Philomath

Now that we’ve got 2/3 novellas and are a month out from Cytonic does anyone have any predictions?

I predict we see Gran Gran and Cobb in Cytonic. I think she teleported into the Nowhere. Maybe once there she will be able to communicate better with Spensa and they will need to try and find each other to all get back. I wouldn’t be surprised if the exile device in Starsight was Taynix powered and that Gran Gran has a similar ability. 

I also predict Jorgen is going to have an interesting arc in his book. I think he might take a slightly vengeful turn. He hasn’t had the chance to really see the Superiority like Spensa did and realize that many of them are also just people doing their best to live life. With everything he saw Winzik’s faction do in ReDawn and the personal losses he faced, I think he is going to struggle. We might see him throw away the rule book. None of his main superiors are around to give him direction. He needs to move toward something and revenge seems possible. He also is bonding with Boomslug who can power cytonic weapons systems. I think he’ll develop mind blades too.  If I’m right about his direction, I hope it doesn’t last long term though. 

Edited by Philomath

Here are mine. Some spoilers for Defending Elysium, all Skyward books up to ReDawn ofc + Cytonic ch. 1 preview and Evershore's cover sypnosis.

Spoiler

Cytonic:

- the Path of Elders that Spensa mentions in chapter 1 is probably going to be some sort of road/path that she'll embark upon to discover the secrets of the delvers, AIs, and cytonics (so...galactic history lesson). Actually, if that's the case we might finally get that DE cameos Brandon planned on adding.

(funny observation I just made: at the end of Starsight, supposedly the main goal is to escape the Superiority, but it looks like Spensa's away on a side-quest while the ones on Detritus are the one dealing with the Superiority lol)

- At the beginning, she wasn't able to reach out to Detritus or other cytonics whatsoever, but she'll find a way (perhaps maybe get a mentor) that'll teach her how to use cytonics more proficiently?

Otherwise I'm stumped on guesses. It looks like we're in for a completely different ride than Skyward or Starsight though.  HYPEEE

Evershore:

I personally don't have any mindblowing predictions for this (not to mention in Cytonic, we'll probably get spoiled on the big events that had happened). The ending of ReDawn pretty much implied that we're in for a rollercoaster in Evershore. 

Agreed on Jorgen having an interesting arc. And him learning mindblades makes sense.

Also I agree with what Shard of Reading said about Gran-gran and Cobb with the kitsen (it would explain the "[...] have some of Jorgen's people and would like to return them" line from the Evershore blurb)

Edited by caramel_

When I read ReDawn, I had the thought that Spensa may have saved the National Assembly Leaders by pulling them into the Nowhere. Given that Jorgen has seen her twice since Starsight, that means some time has passed for her as well. However, the Shardcast clued me in to part of an interview or Q&A with Janci and Brandon where it was said that Brandon gave Janci the idea to kill the Weights. I'm holding out hope, but it's completely in world for them to actually be dead.

So yeah, here's some thoughts.

• I think we're going to see some training (or at least learning) going on for Spensa while she's in the Nowhere. And M-Bot is going to have some learning too.
  • If the Vapers are "ascended" AI, then I suspect M-bot will become a Vaper. Alternatively, if the Delvers are "ascended" AI, I think M-Bot will become a Delver. Basically, I think M-bot will evolve into something beyond an AI in Cytonic.
  • I think Spensa is going to get out of the Nowhere, and I think it's going to be shortly after the events of ReDawn.
  • I think Doomslug is going to die. Ok, not really. (most of) The fandom would probably riot.

For Evershore:

• I think Spensa will return, probably in the first few chapters, if not the first. The only way I can see she doesn't return is if she doesn't make it out of the Nowhere in Cytonic.
  • I guess we'll probably see Jorgen trying to take charge of both the Military and the Assembly.
  • I don't have any other thoughts on this book, because I haven't looked into it at all.

By the way, you can also read Chapter 1 and some of Chapter 2 on Netgalley!

Now, onto my theories and predictions. Spoilers for ReDawn and Starsight below, of course.

In Evershore, I think we're going to see a lot of Jorgen compartmentalizing his grief to an unhealthy level, and/or having his grief interfere with his powers, making them "erratic" as mentioned on the blurb. Also, given that both his parents were members of the government, he may have to fill their shoes while being a pilot and flightleader, which is only going to worsen his mental health.

For Cytonic, I predict that Spensa has come in contact with some of the kitsen cytonics that were mentioned in Starsight. I also predict that she will develop mindblades, because she seems to have the aptitude and strength for them. Brade may have a redemption or corruption arc as well. I also hope we find out more about M-Bot's old commander, Spears. Even after 2 books, we know so little about him, yet he knew about taynix and hyperdrives before anyone on Detritus--he had a hyperdrive compartment in his ship, and he instructed M-Bot to search for mushrooms, which taynix consume. He may have been cytonic himself, which might explain why he crashed in a remote location on a planet that seems not to have a known record of him.

I agree with @Govir about M-Bot's potential growth and arc, and I think it's a very interesting idea! I hope, too, that M-Bot will find a fellow AI to complain about organics with. He deserves it at this point!

Edit: This isn't a prediction, but Evershore's cover has been revealed on Amazon, however I haven't found any official confirmation of it by Sanderson yet. My Kindle also lists the release date as December, which I hope is a glitch/mistake. Nevertheless, I'm very excited for this novella, as Jorgen is one of my favorite Skyward characters!

Edit 2: Tor.com just released a spoiler free review of Cytonic, which I'll link here. I'm very interested in the potential implications about the Skyward world building and M-Bot. https://www.tor.com/2021/11/15/book-reviews-non-spoiler-brandon-sanderson-cytonic/

Edited by NorthStar