Do you remember that day?

That terrible, monumental, glorious day?

The day when the Rose Empire was changed forever. The day the usurping Glory Faction came, fought, conquered. The Heritage Faction, unfortunately, didn't stand a chance. When they fell, they fell hard. The change in leadership sent ripples through the entire kingdom, and everyone from arbiters to urchins to forgers felt its effect. It seems it was so long ago, yet the time has passed in a blink of eye.

Well, the Glory Faction's rule is stable now. It didn't take them long, all things considering. The Rose Empire settled, falling back into a familiar rhythm.

But not the Heritage Faction. How could they? The kingdom had been swept from under their feet in the most brutal of ways, and nothing had been done about it. It had been forgotten about as quickly as a Rememberer's smudge on a painting would be once they covered it up. No, ever since their downfall, those still in the Heritage Faction vowed they would hold the kingdom in their grasp again. Political revenge is a particularly nasty disease, and the Heritage Faction is infected with it. And at long last, they might have the numbers to stand a chance.

The Glory Faction's rule may soon be fading into the shadows, and they hardly have a clue of what's to come.

~

The Forger sat in their den, deep under the palace, and smiled. The time has finally arrived.

They uncovered an Essence Mark, of their own making- the Forger wouldn't dare trust anyone else's work- and their smile grew wider. The Mark was of excellent craftmanship, a stamp with the most intricate detailing imaginable. And it was time to use it.

The Forger quickly inked it, despite there being no reason for haste, and pressed the stamp into their skin. It didn't matter what their name was before, because now they were someone else.

As the stamp burned in the Forger's skin, changing their identity, they looked up at the ceiling. Towards the palace. Towards the Emperor's seat and the power of the Rose Empire. I will not fail, ancestors. I will make you proud.

When all was done, the Rose Empire would burn.

Welcome to MR54: Fading Glory! This game is a rerun of MR37/AN6, which was created and ran as a blackout game by @Elandera, so credit to the concept and rules go to her. Many thanks for letting me borrow the ruleset! A link to the original game can be found here.

I'll be the GM for this game, and @Elandera will be the IM.

I thought it'd be fun to let the story of the game take place chronologically in the same universe and after MR37, in which the eliminators (Glory Faction) won a decisive victory over the villagers (Heritage Faction). So I switched the names of the factions for the rerun :P Hope that doesn't cause too much confusion.

Signups will run for about a week, ending on Saturday, November 6th, at 1pm PST, assuming enough people sign up. That will be the rollover time for the duration of the game, unless something in my schedule changes.

One final disclaimer: It's been a few years since I've read Emperor's Soul, so I apologize in advance for anything I screw up lore/worldbuilding wise :P Thanks! Anyway, without further ado, here are the rules:

Basics:

Spoiler
  • Combined 48 hour cycles.
  • There will be an execution each cycle, with no vote minimum. Tied votes will be decided by RNG.
  • PMs are open. They must be 1-1 and include both the GM and IM.
  • Each player is allotted one action per cycle.

Factions:

Spoiler

The Glory Faction:

• Standard village faction.
  • The Glory Faction wins when all members of the Heritage Faction, and the Soul Forger, are dead.

The Heritage Faction:

• Standard eliminator faction.
  • Has a kill each cycle, which counts as an action.
  • The Heritage Faction wins when they outnumber the Glory Faction, and the Soul Forger is dead.

The Soul Forger:

• Neutral faction and role.
  • The Soul Forger wins when all members of the Glory Faction and the Heritage Faction are dead.

Soul Forger:

Spoiler
  • The Soul Forger has a Soulstamp, three Essence Marks, and the Engraved Plates to finish each of the Essence Marks.
  • The Soul Forger starts with either the Grand or the Urchin already complete.
  • The Soul Forger may submit an action to complete a Mark and unlock its ability, which takes two cycles (but only one action). Only one Essence Mark may be created at a time, and the Urchin only once.
    • Essence Marks:
      • The Warrior:
        • The Soul Forger may kill one player each cycle.
      • The Grand:
        • The Soul Forger may use an action to double their vote for the cycle.
        • Gains a piece of art.
      • The Urchin:
        • The Soul Forger will passively survive a single attack.
  • The Essence Mark creation does not count towards the single action allotted per cycle.
  • The Soul Forger will only be included with a player count of 13 or more.

Faction-Specific Roles:

Spoiler

Emperor:

• Each cycle, the Emperor can redirect someone’s action randomly to a new target.
  • Starts with a piece of art.

Head Arbiter of the Glory Faction:

• Each cycle, the Head Arbiter of the Glory Faction may move the vote of any player. This action cannot change a no-vote to a vote, nor a vote to a no-vote.

Head Arbiter of the Heritage Faction:

• Each cycle, the Head Arbiter of the Heritage Faction may cancel any player’s vote.

Non-Faction Specific Roles:

Spoiler

Bloodsealer:

• The Bloodsealer can use an action to create a Skeletal. They can then use another action (in a future cycle) to use the Skeletal, roleblocking a player’s action. If they are unsuccessful (i.e. their target took no action) the Skeletal is retained.

Striker:

• Strikers have access to a kill they may use three times per game.

Rememberer:

• Each cycle Rememberers have a 50% chance to receive an order to Forge a piece of art, which they may turn into any of the three types.
  • The Rememberer cannot use these pieces, but can send them to other players. This does not use an action.
  • If the Rememberer receives art from another source, they are free to use it. Passing art from other sources requires an action.

Art:

Spoiler

All art is passable between players. This requires an action.

• Vase:
    • Can be used to attempt to roleblock a player’s action.
  • Painting:
    • Can be used to attempt to protect against a single attack.
  • Scepter:
    • Can be used to attempt to kill a single player.

OoA:

Spoiler
  1. Skeletal Usage/Vase
  2. Emperor
  3. Head Arbiters/Grand
  4. Rememberer
  5. Execution
  6. Painting
  7. Eliminator kill/Striker/Warrior/Scepter
  8. Skeletal Creation
  9. Art passing

If you prefer the rules in doc form, that can be found here.

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. @The Unknown Order - Shoi
  2. @Danex
  3. @SeaDragonet - Theo
  4. @ashwastaken - Ill
  5. @Ashbringer - Faleast
  6. @Mage - Gaivan
  7. @Araris Valerian - Araolis
  8. @Orlok Tsubodai - Locke Tekiel
  9. @|TJ| - Lai
  10. @Devotary of Spontaneity - Zama
  11. @Ed Venture - Sha Lou
  12. @Tani - Wei
  13. @Steeldancer - Steel

Spectators:

Spoiler

Pinch-Hitters:

Spoiler

Quicklinks:

Edited by Elandera

52 minutes ago, Danex said:

ill play

questions:
is art retained if the attempted action fails? (like if you use a vase on a person who took no action)
what's the OOA?
do any of the protect actions protect against he exe?

Yes.

Uh… I’ll get back to you :P. But it isn’t anything fancy. RBs first, then vote manip, the exe before kills, that sort of thing.

Nope.

7 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Both art pieces (scepter and painting) would be used up in that scenario.

what if the protect is from something else like urchin

or if using the scepter was roleblocked

9 hours ago, Danex said:

what if the protect is from something else like urchin

or if using the scepter was roleblocked

If the scepter hits any kind of protection, it’s used up.

Same with the roleblock. If the scepter is roleblocked, it’s used up. (Because what would the RBer be roleblocking if it wasn’t?)

1 hour ago, Ashbringer said:

Eh, I’ll join in. Faleast is technically a Forger, although that comes with… somewhat painful memories.

Hello ashwastaken! I hope it wasn’t my name you were looking for. This could be entertaining.

This will be… entertaining (Someone should vote ash just to see what matrim does).

4 minutes ago, Mage said:

I’ll play. Not sure on a character name yet. @Matrim's Dice can I PM you with any questions as this game is a bit more complex than the only other one I have played?

Yeah, though you also can put them here in the thread for the benefit of everyone else. But once the game starts you definitely can ask any mechanics questions in your GM PM.

5 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Yeah, though you also can put them here in the thread for the benefit of everyone else. But once the game starts you definitely can ask any mechanics questions in your GM PM.

Ok. I can’t really think of anything right now. I’ll probably have questions as situations come up. 
Actually, what does it mean that PMs are open?

16 minutes ago, Mage said:

Ok. I can’t really think of anything right now. I’ll probably have questions as situations come up. 
Actually, what does it mean that PMs are open?

That means that at any point during the game, you can send another player a PM to chat as long as it also includes me. (And Elan if she wants to be in those)

Oh yeah I should clarify those all need to be 1-1.

But yeah just call it ‘MR54: Mage -> Whoever’ or something like that if you make any

19 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

That means that at any point during the game, you can send another player a PM to chat as long as it also includes me. (And Elan if she wants to be in those)

Oh yeah I should clarify those all need to be 1-1.

But yeah just call it ‘MR54: Mage -> Whoever’ or something like that if you make any

I'll go ahead and be included in PMs for this game.

Couple of questions, in case I get the soul forger role. What does it mean to submit an action? And to get the benefits of each essence mark, do you have to declare to the GM or something that you are stamping yourself beforehand, or can you do it afterwards? For example if you are chosen to be killed, but have the urchin essence mark complete will you die if you haven't pre-stamped yourself or will it automatically activate when necessary?

Sorry if none of those made sense. I can clarify if needed.

28 minutes ago, Mage said:

Couple of questions, in case I get the soul forger role. What does it mean to submit an action? And to get the benefits of each essence mark, do you have to declare to the GM or something that you are stamping yourself beforehand, or can you do it afterwards? For example if you are chosen to be killed, but have the urchin essence mark complete will you die if you haven't pre-stamped yourself or will it automatically activate when necessary?

Sorry if none of those made sense. I can clarify if needed.

Submitting an action is done through your GM PM; you just tell me what you want to do with your action on any given cycle. All roles submit actions, so to speak, as well as the elim who submits the kill (which can be any elim, and can change cycle to cycle).

Yeah, you say in your PM which mark you’re stamping yourself with and then you get the benefits two cycles later. Completing a mark and stamping a mark are the same thing.

Do I want to.

In theory I have work and part-time studies now. And am retired.

But this is a rerun and I have fond memories of getting one-shotted by my Emperor C1 even though we were on the same team <_< After all the effort I put in to sound like Burnt too.

And I like the Rose Empire...

...I need to think about this.

Edited by Kasimir