POV Books 5-10

Tren

Not sure if this has been posted before but...

So far the point of view for books 1-4 have followed a radiant (or soon to be) of a different order.

Spoiler

WOK (Kaladin-Windrunner), WOR (Shallan-Lightweaver), OB (Dalinar-Bondsmith), ROW (Venli-Willshaper). Book 5 has been rumored to be Szeth Point of view (Skybreaker)

which would follow the pattern. I think the the next 4 will also (not sure what sequence). With the books being from Jasnah (elsecaller), Adolin (hoping edgedancer), Renarin (truthwatcher). For dustbringer i have no idea (maybe moash if he, loses the honor blade and gets a redemption arc). But for Stoneward i think we could have Taln for POV and get to the real meat of his and the rest of the heralds backstories.

6 hours ago, Aon Tia said:

i thought that book 6 is about Lift and book 7 will be Renarin

Is the sequence in which you mentioned relevant?

Yes as far as we can tell, but they are all in flux and subject to change, and it doesnt sound like he's really trying to hold himself to a specific order.  Lift is currently Book 6, but that is the only one that's been actually given a number that I can find.  The first five have already seen some re-ordering from his initial plan.

Questioner

So, I was gonna ask about which character the next book would focus on?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, no, that's not spoilery... I said from the get-go I am perfectly all right writing a flashback sequence for a character who has already died in the books. So it's not telling you any spoilers to tell you who the various characters are. So, the front five are Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar, Eshonai, and Szeth. Those are our front five. And our back five are Lift, Jasnah, Ash, Taln, and Renarin. And, not in that order. I've flipped the order quite a bit as I've been going. 'Cause Dalinar was gonna be book five, and now he's book three. So now Szeth is book five, and Eshonai is book four. Right now, Lift is book six. But the back five, I'm not concerned about, other than making sure I'm setting up the right things, and it's gonna come together.

Oathbringer Glasgow signing (Dec. 2, 2017)

Questioner

In the second series of Stormlight Archive, are they going to be about the same characters?

Brandon Sanderson

That's an excellent question. So when I sat down to build The Stormlight Archive, there were a couple of things that I learned from The Wheel of Time. One was that the further an epic fantasy series goes, the more important it is that you have a structure to the series. It's very easy for the books to start blending into one another, and it's also very easy to let side characters take over books. This is very natural for us as writers, particularly in a big epic fantasy, and I felt that when I approached The Stormlight Archive there are a couple of things I did. One is that I said "All right, I'm going to confine all my side characters to these things called interludes, where I can just go crazy and do whatever I want, but they have to be like, isolated in their own containment unit called the interludes to prevent me from turning from the books just going in all directions at once."

The other thing I said is, "Each book is going to be about an order of Knights Radiant, and it's going to have a flashback sequence directly tied to that order." So that when you say "All right, which book is book three," you're like, "Oh, that's Dalinar's book, that's the Bondsmith book." All of the characters are in all of the books, but each book has kind of its own soul and theme that helps me as a writer structure where I'm going to release information, and what it's going to be about. And so when I set down this, I said said "I'm going to pick 10 characters, 10 orders (and they are not always going to be exactly what you expect), but I'm going to build each book to have a theme based around those things."

The first five were Dalinar, Kaladin, Shallan, Eshonai and Szeth. So those are the five books you are going to get in the first arc. And the second arc is Lift, Renarin, Ash, Taln and Jasnah, right. Now, all the characters from the first five will be in all those books, and some of them will still be main characters. You can expect it, like it is one series. All the ones that survive *crowd groans* no spoilers. But you can expect in the back five, people that you are expecting that are main characters now will still be main characters, and you will have a lot of space dedicated to them still, but the flashback sequences, and the themes of the book, will focus on those five. And so it hopefully will help it all have a structure and a feeling. 

Between book 5 and book 6, in-world, there will be a time jump of about 10 years, so just be expecting that. But I can't say anything more without getting into spoilers, so I won't. But that's what you can expect.

The Great American Read: Other Worlds with Brandon Sanderson (Oct. 25, 2018)

Brandon Sanderson

For those who don't know it is Dalinar's book. Each story, each novel in The Stormlight Archive delves into one of the main characters' backstories and catches you up how they got to their first chapters in the first book. So the first book was Kaladin, second book's Shallan, third book's Dalinar. Right now, fourth book is Eshonai, fifth book is Szeth. I could end up switching those two. But that's kind of how that works. And then, for those who don't know, The Stormlight Archive-- at the end of book five there will come to a conclusion, though it's not the main conclusion, it's the end of the arc. We will leave Roshar for a while while I write a few more books, and when we come back Roshar in-world will have passed about fifteen years. And then we will do the back five characters as I call them-- their backstories. So that's Lift, Jasnah, Taln, Renarin, and Ash-- yeah, Ash. There's two Heralds among that group, so you can kind of guess what those flashbacks will deal with, in the back five. The main characters of the first five, who survive, will still be a big part of those back five. So it's not a separate series, but I do consider it two separate arcs. We need to pass some time for some various reasons.

Ad Astra 2017 (May 5, 2017)

Questioner

The second set of The Stormlight Archive. Is that the same characters? Or different ones, like you did with Mistborn?

Brandon Sanderson

They are same characters, but we're gonna see a few main characters fade to being secondary characters. The ones that survive. And we're gonna see a few minor characters fade to be-- The structure of The Stormlight Archive is: one flashback sequence per book, and a focus on one of the Orders of Knights Radiant per book, and I've already announced who these all are, though I have secrets that pertain to them. Our next two books are Eshonai and Szeth. But, of course, Eshonai is dead. We're gonna see flashbacks from her viewpoint that inform our "now," but I haven't promised that these characters all live. Does that makes sense?

But our back five are Lift, when she's grown up. It'll be about ten years later. I haven't gotten the exact date yet.

Questioner

Is she alive, or a grown-up ghost?

Brandon Sanderson

...If she survives! *laughter* It will be Lift, Renarin, Taln, Ash, and Jasnah. So, yes, your main characters-- some of them are main characters. People who aren't on that list will still-- some of them will have big chunks of the stories. Just like you will notice that there's a big chunk of Kaladin in Book 4, even though it's Eshonai's book. So, that will happen. But I'm not making any promises about who survives and who doesn't.

What I really also wanna do is, like-- The big epic fantasy series. I have an advantage over Robert Jordan in that I've read Robert Jordan. And I can see the structure of this, and say, "What can I do to create the structure of a big epic that will have a lot of the things I love about a big epic but avoid some of the potential pitfalls." And I feel that one of those is beginnings, middles, and ends are really hard the longer you go in a series. And if I bring it to five, and then I take a break. And those five tell a story. And then I certainly am gonna leave some things that we start up in the next one, and do the second sequence of five. It's just kind of how the structure of The Stormlight Archive works for me.

A given book, I usually plot as three novels. And I will do this outline of three novels, and this becomes one volume of The Stormlight Archive. Well, each of those novels has Act One, Act Two, Act Three. And then all of those combine into the thick ones that you get, and then five of those combine into an arc. And then the two books of five combine into their own arc. So, hopefully it'll all work out. When I first pitched this to my editor back in 2003, his response was, "Wow, you're ambitious!" And he was a little frightened when I gave him Stormlight. And then, in 2004, I pitched the whole 9-book Mistborn thing that is somehow now... 13. But, yeah, so. We'll see.

JordanCon 2018 (April 21, 2018)

3 hours ago, Quantus said:

When I first pitched this to my editor back in 2003, his response was, "Wow, you're ambitious!" And he was a little frightened when I gave him Stormlight. And then, in 2004, I pitched the whole 9-book Mistborn thing that is somehow now... 13. But, yeah, so. We'll see.

It's still funny to me how Mistborn was supposed to be 9 and then he just threw in another arc which was only supposed to be one book.

I guess he's doing the same for Stormlight with the novellas though

18 minutes ago, Infinitysliver said:

It's still funny to me how Mistborn was supposed to be 9 and then he just threw in another arc which was only supposed to be one book.

I guess he's doing the same for Stormlight with the novellas though

It's still funny to me that he was supposed to deliver a sequel Shadows of Self and he showed up with "twins", having also written Bands of Mourning as a "warm-up" to "get back into the world."

45 minutes ago, Quantus said:

It's still funny to me that he was supposed to deliver a sequel Shadows of Self and he showed up with "twins", having also written Bands of Mourning as a "warm-up" to "get back into the world."

He's simply built different.
And I mean that literally, since we know he's a robot and all :P 

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

It wasn't only SoS and BoM too, he also showed up with a secret pregnancy aka Secret History. 

yea that true, there is room for changing the sequence, also sometimes he changes the character altogether! like instead of Eshonai we got Venli but 

as of now that is what we know.

The Secret History is really one if my favorite short stories. It was amazing to read it and learn of so much more that was happening in the background of era 1.

I mean yes there were subtle hints that something more is going on, but i had not paid much attention to any of it and i had not expected to get everything answered! 

Although i dont know what I feel about Kel after Secret History but Man! was it fun to read!