Subsumer Radiant

Tglassy

Ok.  I was thinking about this today.  

First off, can we all just admit to how amazing being a Subsumer would be?  Feruchemical Bendalloy can allow you to eat as much as you want while storing, never feeling full.  All the excess nourishment is stored in the Bendalloymind, which you can later tap so you don't have to eat as much.  

Talk about the ultimate diet tool.  Just always store what you eat.  Every time.  And then only let the exact amount of energy come out as you need during the day.  Never have to worry about overeating on your diet again.  You just always have the aprox. 2,000 calories a day.  

Now, at the moment, I'm goin back through the Stormlight books for the fifth time (Rhythms of War for the second time), and as always, I'm considering different combinations of Radiant with Mistborn powers, and something struck me: Lift can metabolize food into Stormlight.  LIFT CAN METABOLIZE FOOD INTO STORMLIGHT.  Not only does that mean she can go anywhere in the freaking cosmere and get stormlight (assuming she could travel to other worlds, being so invested), but if she managed to get ahold of the abilities of a Bendalloy Ferring, such as from a Medallion, then she could, essentially, store Stormlight itself in the Bendalloymind.  

That is insane.  A Bendalloy metalmind, in this case, isn't just storing energy, it's storing something she can convert into Stormlight.  No need to have Stormlight at all.  Just need food.  

Be a Bendalloy/Bendalloy Twinborn and be like Lift and you can compound the energy from one meal into ten, a hundred, a thousand, real, real quick.  Infinite Stormlight, and never need to eat/drink again (if you have two metalminds).  

Just thought I'd share.  

Lift can convert food into Lifelight not Stormlight but yeah. I wonder if someday, someone would copy whatever whatever it is that Cultivation did to her Spiritweb to copy the ability to metabolize food into Investiture.

We have a WoB on this:

Zantis

Let's say Lift received two Hemalurgic spikes: one for Allomantic bendalloy and one for Feruchemical bendalloy. Then she eats a bunch of pancakes, stores the nutrition in a piece of bendalloy, burns it to compound nutrition. Can that nutrition be turned into Stormlight?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.  Yeah, but remember she didn't have to be-- so basically what that-- Is just a really complicated way for her to turn Allomantic Investiture-- so that it can allocate Allomantic Investiture into Stormlight. That would be a complex method of doing that. Just transferring one type of Investiture into another. It's just basically drawing from Ruin and she is then turning it into Stormlight-ish? It's a complicated thing, but that's basically what happens, just really crazy.

Zantis

Okay, so-- but it is the same sort of thing, right? *hesitant nod from Brandon* And--

Brandon Sanderson

I hope that eventually in the cosmere they will find easier ways than that.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

Edited by Honorless

Corollary:  Could a Gasper Radiant "breathe" in a bunch of Stormlight and then store it as Investiture in a Cadmium Metalmind? 

This question really digs into the nature of Investiture that is supposedly fully manifested as a gaseous material.  But if Gaspers get the same sort of selectivity as Bendalloy does for food vs water, I think they should be able to store specific gasses, and both conceptually for the Intent and physically by science, Mist or Stormlight should be just another gas.   

3 hours ago, Quantus said:

Corollary:  Could a Gasper Radiant "breathe" in a bunch of Stormlight and then store it as Investiture in a Cadmium Metalmind? 

This question really digs into the nature of Investiture that is supposedly fully manifested as a gaseous material.  But if Gaspers get the same sort of selectivity as Bendalloy does for food vs water, I think they should be able to store specific gasses, and both conceptually for the Intent and physically by science, Mist or Stormlight should be just another gas.

It might be easier for the CadTwin to bond a spren than the reverse. Or could a CadTwin store investiture gasses without bonding a spen and then only need the spren to use the stormlight? Could those stored investiture gasses grant enhanced pulser abilities?

4 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

It might be easier for the CadTwin to bond a spren than the reverse. Or could a CadTwin store investiture gasses without bonding a spen and then only need the spren to use the stormlight? Could those stored investiture gasses grant enhanced pulser abilities?

As a squire or holding an honorblade are probably the lowest impact methods.

The "Easier way", I assume, would be Medallions.  Does compounding work with Medallions?  I'd assume so.  But yeah, give Lift A and F Bendalloy Medallions, and then she has infinite food and Lifelight.  No need to eat anymore.  Infinite Healing and Awesomeness.  Infinite growth of food in Uruthiru.

Completely off topic, why has nobody told the Radiants in the Tower that the Surge of Regrowth is also the Surge of Growth?  I mean, the moment they started talking about it in Oathbreaker, about how there were fields but they were too small and nothing would grow, it was obvious to me that Truthwatchers and Edgedancers tended the gardens.  They could grow entire fields in a few minutes.  

On 10/28/2021 at 11:11 AM, Quantus said:

Depends on whether it stores the actual gas (converted, of course), or stores the concept of breath and breathing. I'd lean the latter, most likely, personally, in which case I don't think it could be done, but I could see a world where it's doable.

On 10/28/2021 at 10:11 AM, Quantus said:

While I personally don't think that it would be possible, I want to explore this idea.

If it is possible, Cadmium would become the perfect Investiture battery. Create a Fabrial combining Rosharan and Scadrian science to suck up and store Stormlight every Highstorm and reverse it to tap the Cadmiummind into gems and you have power wherever you go without worries of it running out when not using it.