Feruchemy hacking Hemalurgy?

Trusk'our

Question

I've been trying to come up with a way to somehow "supercharge" a hemalurgic spike, but reusing them on multiple donors doesn't seem to be likely.

yulerule

Can you reuse a spike?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Uh, yes, technically, but not as easily as that question makes it sound.

yulerule

Can you re-use it if it's for the same exact thing or for a different thing? Will that change?

Brandon Sanderson

Spikes are going to get keyed by Identity--

yulerule

So you can't already spike that person. But if you spike and don't kill them can you spike the same person again?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah and if you can somehow strip the identity of the person or the spike-- So yes you can use them again but it comes into a sort of-- Like, you can't just take that spike and spike somebody else.

It might be possible to reuse a spike on multiple donors if store their Identity, but that seems unlikely for multiple reasons. 

But what if you use feruchemy in a different way to enhance your hemalurgic gains? 

What if you tap, for example, the strength of ten men, then use hemalurgic iron take that enhanced attribute? Would you be able to get that attribute enhanced, or would only the regular, non enhanced piece of spiritweb stick to the spike?

10 answers to this question

It might be possible with whichever spike it is that grabs investiture. (nicrosil?)

You would grab the F-Pewter flavored investiture from them and then could stick it into someone else to use. There might be some identity shenanigans though.

I agree that a typical strength spike wouldn't grab the enhanced strength because it isn't part of your spirit web.

On 10/27/2021 at 8:07 AM, Trusk'our said:

I've been trying to come up with a way to somehow "supercharge" a hemalurgic spike, but reusing them on multiple donors doesn't seem to be likely.

It might be possible to reuse a spike on multiple donors if store their Identity, but that seems unlikely for multiple reasons. 

But what if you use feruchemy in a different way to enhance your hemalurgic gains? 

What if you tap, for example, the strength of ten men, then use hemalurgic iron take that enhanced attribute? Would you be able to get that attribute enhanced, or would only the regular, non enhanced piece of spiritweb stick to the spike?

you could use a single spike to compound a single hemalurgy spike from multiple donors if you first used a Duralumin spike to steal each of the donors identity first. Still if you want the strength of 10 men steal allomantic strength not feruchemical strength. Remember power gained from Hemalugic spikes isn't just what power was stolen, but where the spike is placed because if placed in the wrong location weird things happen if anything happens at all.

The duralumin spike might allow one to use the feruchemical reserves of the donor or donors since it could grant their identity.

Another possibility is that a trueself might be able to mix and match metal minds and hemalurgic spikes since they can blank Identity. For that matter a Trueself might be able to permanently forge any set of abilities for themselves using their Feruchemy and Hemalurgy without the attending soul holes.

4 minutes ago, Frustration said:

You'd have to be careful not to kill them, but that should work.

Why do you need the person to stay alive? A blank hemalurgic spike might give the user access to anyone's metal mind of that ability if placed in the correct spot. In addition any ability that can be used from the same placement could theoretically be added to one identity blank spike granting multiple abilities. Or so I presume.

How is the Book coming?

14 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

Why do you need the person to stay alive? A blank hemalurgic spike might give the user access to anyone's metal mind of that ability if placed in the correct spot. In addition any ability that can be used from the same placement could theoretically be added to one identity blank spike granting multiple abilities. Or so I presume.

Well if you want to use two spikes on them, they need to survive the first one, otherwise you can't spike them the second time.

15 minutes ago, BenduLuke said:

How is the Book coming?

I'm about done with the plotting,

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

Well if you want to use two spikes on them, they need to survive the first one, otherwise you can't spike them the second time.

Makes sense unless you used both during the same session to withdraw multiple abilities.

2 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I'm about done with the plotting,

Glad to hear.