... What's next?

Sequence

So, i'm almost done reading Rhythm of War, and I was wondering, 'What's next?' I've read Mistborn books 1 - 6 and almost Stormlight 1 - 4, so, what do I read next? Are there any Mistborn or Stormlight spin-offs I should get to, or should I start another Sanderson series? If so which one?

Stormlight 4 is probably one of the most Cosmere-aware books so far, so more than any other it had connections to several (most?) other Cosmere books.   If you haven't already, Warbreaker should be your top priority to explain some things. Elantris will have a couple recognizable things in it too.  I would probably say finish the available Mistborn before picking up Mistborn: Secret History just to avoid any potential impact of a couple cool reveals.   Emperor's soul doesn't connect but is often cited as people's favorite story, so it's worth it at any time. The rest of the shorts are up to you, worth reading but less revelatory from a Cosmere plot perspective.  

All of this is my opinion, and this is a topic that lots of people have thoughts on.  

On 10/25/2021 at 8:02 AM, Frustration said:

Edgedancer and Dawnshard are SA novella's you might like.

Great, I'll get to those after book 4

On 10/25/2021 at 7:56 AM, Quantus said:

Stormlight 4 is probably one of the most Cosmere-aware books so far, so more than any other it had connections to several (most?) other Cosmere books.   If you haven't already, Warbreaker should be your top priority to explain some things. Elantris will have a couple recognizable things in it too.  I would probably say finish the available Mistborn before picking up Mistborn: Secret History just to avoid any potential impact of a couple cool reveals.   Emperor's soul doesn't connect but is often cited as people's favorite story, so it's worth it at any time. The rest of the shorts are up to you, worth reading but less revelatory from a Cosmere plot perspective.  

All of this is my opinion, and this is a topic that lots of people have thoughts on.  

All right, so for now, im looking for connected books/"Cosmere-aware" books. All of Mistborn i've read, but you did say something about Secret History? A spin-off, perhaps? So Warbreaker. I'll get to that. Does that explain Azure? She seems like a character from other Cosmere stuff to me.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:32 AM, Sequence said:

should I start another Sanderson series? If so which one?

I highly recommend Skyward once you finish the Cosmere stuff! It has a lot of great characterization and action scenes, and some fun world-building. There are a triad of novellas coming out too (...well, one was released last month, one today, and one in December...) as well as Book 3 (of four) in November. It's definitely a great time to be or become a Skyward fan.

20 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

I highly recommend Skyward once you finish the Cosmere stuff! It has a lot of great characterization and action scenes, and some fun world-building. There are a triad of novellas coming out too (...well, one was released last month, one today, and one in December...) as well as Book 3 (of four) in November. It's definitely a great time to be or become a Skyward fan.

Great. After Cosmere, Skyward is next. Thank you.

22 hours ago, Quantus said:

Good catch, yes, Warbreaker will explain Azure and Nightblood. 

Secret history is basically all the cosmere-relevant stuff that happened behind the scenes of mistborn Era 1.

So, after Rhythm of War, we go Edgedancer, Dawnshard, Secret History, then Warbreaker? Sound right? 

I'd move Warbreaker up in the order, but then I love that book.  That order will work as good as any.  For what's left you're mostly connecting cosmere dots where you need both sides, so a lot won't come together until you read both sides of any given Easter egg.  

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

I'd move Warbreaker up in the order, but then I love that book.  That order will work as good as any.  For what's left you're mostly connecting cosmere dots where you need both sides, so a lot won't come together until you read both sides of any given Easter egg.  

Sounds good, thanks.

1 hour ago, Sequence said:

Sounds good, thanks.

You'll want Elantris in the mix, too, forgot to mention; there have been cameo's.  Emperors soul doesn't have any actual connections, but it's magic system gets into really interesting aspects of the cosmere's shared mechanics and the story is pretty often claimed as peoples favorite.

19 hours ago, Quantus said:

You'll want Elantris in the mix, too, forgot to mention; there have been cameo's.  Emperors soul doesn't have any actual connections, but it's magic system gets into really interesting aspects of the cosmere's shared mechanics and the story is pretty often claimed as peoples favorite.

Edgedancer, Dawnshard, Secret History, Warbreaker, Elantris, Emperor's soul. Got it, thanks.

I go through the entire Cosmere at least once a year, and this is the order I go in:

1. Elantris (this was his first published book, and the first book in the Cosmere.  A few easter eggs from this book pop up in just about everything else.)

2. Mistborn (All of them, 1 through 6.  Finish 6, Bands of Mourning, before reading Secret History, because there are spoilers, but now I pause the first three books at certain places to read parts of Secret History, because they're happening in the background, but the first time, you'll not want to ruin those spoilers).

3. Warbreaker (I do love this book, and in reality, it really is basically a Prequel to Stormlight.  Azure, Zahel and the talking Sword, Nightblood, are all main characters, and it explains the sword's origins, as well as exactly what Azure and Zahel are/can do. I always recommend reading this before Stormlight, but if you've already started Stormlight, then this will just explain a few things.)

4. Stormlight (obvs.  Edgedancer is a novela set between books 2 and 3, and Dawnshard, which I haven't had a chance to read, is between book 3 and 4, I think.  Useful background stuff.)

5. The rest of Arcana Unbounded.  (This is a collection of Short Stories in the Cosmere.  Secret History and Edgedancer are in here, but so are a lot of other smaller things.  The origins of Mraise's green "Chicken", as well as many other worlds in the Cosmere that don't have their own books, are here.)

6. I don't put this in with the rest because I don't have it on Audible, but White Sand, the comics, are their own thing in the Cosmere.  Apparently there's now an Audio drama version on Audible, but it's three parts and only 5 hours each, so I haven't spent the three credits I'd need to get them.  I like to get the most bang for my buck with my Audible credits, and five hours just isn't much.  White Sand takes place on a completely different world, and is the origin world of Kriss, who writes the "Ars Arcana" At the end of most books, as well as having a small cameo in Mistborn Era 2.)

Skyward is good.  I still need to read Cytonic, the third one.  However, I highly recommend The Reckoners, which starts with the book Steelheart.  Basically, it's what would happen if Superheroes became real...and they all turned out to be villains.  Great series.  Great, great series.  

\

3 minutes ago, Tglassy said:

I go through the entire Cosmere at least once a year, and this is the order I go in:

1. Elantris (this was his first published book, and the first book in the Cosmere.  A few easter eggs from this book pop up in just about everything else.)

2. Mistborn (All of them, 1 through 6.  Finish 6, Bands of Mourning, before reading Secret History, because there are spoilers, but now I pause the first three books at certain places to read parts of Secret History, because they're happening in the background, but the first time, you'll not want to ruin those spoilers).

3. Warbreaker (I do love this book, and in reality, it really is basically a Prequel to Stormlight.  Azure, Zahel and the talking Sword, Nightblood, are all main characters, and it explains the sword's origins, as well as exactly what Azure and Zahel are/can do. I always recommend reading this before Stormlight, but if you've already started Stormlight, then this will just explain a few things.)

4. Stormlight (obvs.  Edgedancer is a novela set between books 2 and 3, and Dawnshard, which I haven't had a chance to read, is between book 3 and 4, I think.  Useful background stuff.)

5. The rest of Arcana Unbounded.  (This is a collection of Short Stories in the Cosmere.  Secret History and Edgedancer are in here, but so are a lot of other smaller things.  The origins of Mraise's green "Chicken", as well as many other worlds in the Cosmere that don't have their own books, are here.)

6. I don't put this in with the rest because I don't have it on Audible, but White Sand, the comics, are their own thing in the Cosmere.  Apparently there's now an Audio drama version on Audible, but it's three parts and only 5 hours each, so I haven't spent the three credits I'd need to get them.  I like to get the most bang for my buck with my Audible credits, and five hours just isn't much.  White Sand takes place on a completely different world, and is the origin world of Kriss, who writes the "Ars Arcana" At the end of most books, as well as having a small cameo in Mistborn Era 2.)

Skyward is good.  I still need to read Cytonic, the third one.  However, I highly recommend The Reckoners, which starts with the book Steelheart.  Basically, it's what would happen if Superheroes became real...and they all turned out to be villains.  Great series.  Great, great series.  

Perfect. Thank you.

Edited by Sequence

Also, Hoid/Wit is in almost every book.  In fact...I think he IS in every book...or at least, all the ones I listed.  Only, in Elantris, Mistborn (eras 1 and 2), and Warbreaker, he has small parts, which are really only in one scene or so each.  in some, if you blink, you'll miss it.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/10/2021 at 9:32 AM, Sequence said:

Are there any Mistborn or Stormlight spin-offs I should get to

Just a little clarification, friend: I think that no Cosmere book can be considered a spin-off because all the books (long, short or very short) are canonical, everything from Mistborn, Stormlight, White Sand, Elantris, Warbreaker and all Arcanum Unbounded stories. Of course, it is your decision if you want to read them all, but I really recommend that you do so; Not only because of how well connected the Cosmere is, but because Brandon never disappoints, all his Cosmere work (and almost all outside of it) is incredible and you are going to blow away with his other books that you have not read. ;)

The order Tglassy says is pretty good, although Edgedancer can read it between WoR and Oathbringer when you reread Stormlight, just as you can read The Eleventh Metal before Mistborn Era 1, and Secret History at the end of that Era.

Outside of the Cosmere, I definitely recommend Skyward Series and Defending Elysium (they are in the same universe). I really liked The Rithmatist too, and I liked Reckoners too but it was my least favorite Brandon saga.

1 hour ago, Rashekin said:

Just a little clarification, friend: I think that no Cosmere book can be considered a spin-off because all the books (long, short or very short) are canonical, everything from Mistborn, Stormlight, White Sand, Elantris, Warbreaker and all Arcanum Unbounded stories. Of course, it is your decision if you want to read them all, but I really recommend that you do so; Not only because of how well connected the Cosmere is, but because Brandon never disappoints, all his Cosmere work (and almost all outside of it) is incredible and you are going to blow away with his other books that you have not read. ;)

The order Tglassy says is pretty good, although Edgedancer can read it between WoR and Oathbringer when you reread Stormlight, just as you can read The Eleventh Metal before Mistborn Era 1, and Secret History at the end of that Era.

Outside of the Cosmere, I definitely recommend Skyward Series and Defending Elysium (they are in the same universe). I really liked The Rithmatist too, and I liked Reckoners too but it was my least favorite Brandon saga.

Thank you, I will be sure to take this into consideration.

On 10/28/2021 at 7:38 PM, Tglassy said:

I highly recommend The Reckoners, which starts with the book Steelheart.  Basically, it's what would happen if Superheroes became real...and they all turned out to be villains.  Great series.  Great, great series.  

Hi there! Sorry to bump a relatively old post.

I haven't read The Reckoners — I think I had mistaken it for a "kids" series. However, I really love the Cytoverse series, and it seems kinda like Brandon's version of a YA/kids novel might not be very kid-like at all. 

Anyway, I wanted to ask: Is The Reckoners series standalone? (Totally outside of the cosmere, and doesn't relate back to his other non-cosmere works?) Did you like it more than Skyward? I liked your description of this series a lot, and so I kinda wanna ask for it for the holidays! 

4 hours ago, sugjesstive said:

Hi there! Sorry to bump a relatively old post.

I haven't read The Reckoners — I think I had mistaken it for a "kids" series. However, I really love the Cytoverse series, and it seems kinda like Brandon's version of a YA/kids novel might not be very kid-like at all. 

Anyway, I wanted to ask: Is The Reckoners series standalone? (Totally outside of the cosmere, and doesn't relate back to his other non-cosmere works?) Did you like it more than Skyward? I liked your description of this series a lot, and so I kinda wanna ask for it for the holidays! 

It is a YA series, but definitely not a "kid's" series.  The Epics (people with powers) are vicious, and the prologue shows how much.  

It is a Standalone series.  From what I understand, it has nothing to do with the Cosmere, and isn't even in the same universe, as I believe Earth doesn't exist at all in the Cosmere, and The Reckoners is set on earth.  

And yeah.  I liked Skyward alright.  I'll get Cytonic here soon because I want to finish the series.  But I loved the Reckoners.  Great, great stuff.