ReDawn Release Reactions

Use the Falchion

21 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

More slugs! A green/blue inhibitor one. Makes me think there’s a fifth for the concussion power.

Speaking of which, I really liked that Brandon introduced a new Cytonic power in the concussion bolts! Skyward, Starsight, and Sunreach were fun in that I could pay attention for Defending Elysium references, but I liked that ReDawn added something new to Cytonics that wasn't present in DA.

First off, AWSOME!!! GIVE ME EVERSHORE NOW!!!

Now that is out of my system, a few other things. First, while I didn't call the hologram replacement trick, I figured that the Superiority had used some fancy Taynix powered device to do the Defending Elysium mind swap trick. That just seems like a really great trick to get uncooperative public figures out of the way if you keep it quite. Kidnap them, shove them in your (not technically magic) box, shove a willing superiority supporter in the other side, switch the brains. You are now left with a public figure who is biologically the same person but totally willing to do anything you say and the body with the uncooperative personality can just be shoved into one of the exile portals. Upon further consideration I realize that this would be an awful lot to shove on people who didn't read Defending Elysium in such a short story, but that is where my brain went.

• 3 weeks later...
Spoiler

We have FM and Rig getting together in Sunreach. Arturo previous relationship died offscreen so that this one could live - who is going to be paired up in the next novella? 

Definitely felt an Arturo-Alanik vibe!  Am I the only one?

He was watching me quizzically, like he didn’t understand why I was hesitating.
“You’ll be right here,” I said. He looked surprised.
“Yes,” he whispered, his voice barely a breath. “I’ll be right here if you need me.”
I was a cytonic. With the inhibitor gone, I was in power here. I didn’t need some human watching my back. --p. 178

Arturo put a hand on my shoulder, pulling me outside. “Are you okay?” he asked in a low voice. “You’re shaking.” My whole body was trembling, and though I tried to get a grip on myself I couldn’t make it stop. “I’m fine,” I said. “The hell you are,” Arturo said. “What’s wrong?” --p. 190

Saying that out loud steadied me a little. Arturo dropped his hand from my shoulder. I wished he hadn’t, because that was steadying me too. --p. 192

Arturo came up beside me, staring up through a skylight at the battleship that was breaking into pieces above us. --p. 200

“I told you he wasn’t going to turn on you,” Arturo said. He leaned against the corridor wall, watching me. --p. 203

Arturo at least had been open to talking about his former girlfriend when we spoke before. Though the idea of asking him about human mating rituals felt…disorienting. --p. 205

Edited by Wit Beyond Measure

• 2 months later...

I just finished this one, and am not very happy. Someone explain to me why they couldn't use the inhibitor box that they found and then put it next to the boomslug-self-destruct-bomb-thing preventing the thing from going off and saving everyone. Is there some in-world mechanics I am missing or are our beloved characters just not the brightest? (I know that it is hard to think clearly in stressful situations, but I'm just saying that there is something they could have done and I thought of it off the bat.)

Please explain to me why I am wrong because then I will be less angry. Thank You!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...