Trusk'our

How much does a Breath cost?

Question

In Warbreaker, I'm pretty sure that it was said that it cost enough money to feed a small family for a year to purchase a Breath, but that doesn't seem very specific. 

How much in real life American dollars would on Bio Chromatic breath cost?

10 answers to this question

In the US, the average family will spend about $8,000 on food per year.

4 hours ago, Chinkoln said:

In the US, the average family will spend about $8,000 on food per year.

Thanks so much! :)

So I guess that you don't have to be THAT rich to afford Breath, just moderately rich.

2 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

Thanks so much! :)

So I guess that you don't have to be THAT rich to afford Breath, just moderately rich.

Well, that's $8,000 for one breath, not a lot you can do with just one, you need at least 20 or so for you to do much more than mess around with lifeless.

8,000*20

$160,000, for much of anything.

4 hours ago, Frustration said:

Well, that's $8,000 for one breath, not a lot you can do with just one, you need at least 20 or so for you to do much more than mess around with lifeless.

8,000*20

$160,000, for much of anything.

True, I suppose. I meant more along the lines of that you didn't need to be a millionaire to be a candidate for purchasing Breath.

But it’s along similar lines of, you don’t need to be a millionaire to buy a Tesla, go on a cruise, or something else. But if uses large sums of money for largely useless stuff… then why 

12 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

True, I suppose. I meant more along the lines of that you didn't need to be a millionaire to be a candidate for purchasing Breath.

In preindustrial economies the share of income average people spend on food is larger.

If you look at this as feeding a small family for a year in Hallandren, I think a better guess would be the price to feed a family for a year in a large city like New York City. Per this article (https://smartasset.com/mortgage/what-is-the-cost-of-living-in-new-york-city), it cost 471.34 per month to eat there. A family of four spending that much per person is $22642 per year. That is much closer to my intuition for the cost of a breath and it would mean that Vivenna has about 13.5 million dollars of breath. It would also mean that Susebron, as someone who has 10th heightening, would be a billionaire. 

Edited by DougTheRug
clarity

On 10/25/2021 at 7:28 AM, DougTheRug said:

If you look at this as feeding a small family for a year in Hallandren, I think a better guess would be the price to feed a family for a year in a large city like New York City. Per this article (https://smartasset.com/mortgage/what-is-the-cost-of-living-in-new-york-city), it cost 471.34 per month to eat there. A family of four spending that much per person is $22642. That is much closer to my intuition for the cost of a breath and it would mean that Vivenna has about 13.5 million dollars of breath. It would also mean that Susebron, as someone who has 10th heightening, would be a billionaire. 

The more you narrow in on a specific place the more discrepencies you are going to find, New York has a lot of economic policies that increase the price of basically anything, even without its size, so I think just using the average for the US would be a better estimate for economic transfer.

Edited by Frustration

Will Nalthis develop a market hawking fake Breaths?  Does a Scadrian prince need them to send him their Breath to get through customs?  Will Walmart carry poor quality Breaths for discounted prices?

On 10/25/2021 at 8:28 AM, DougTheRug said:

If you look at this as feeding a small family for a year in Hallandren, I think a better guess would be the price to feed a family for a year in a large city like New York City. Per this article (https://smartasset.com/mortgage/what-is-the-cost-of-living-in-new-york-city), it cost 471.34 per month to eat there. A family of four spending that much per person is $22642. That is much closer to my intuition for the cost of a breath and it would mean that Vivenna has about 13.5 million dollars of breath. It would also mean that Susebron, as someone who has 10th heightening, would be a billionaire. 

Yeah this sounds more accurate.