Kandra and A-Copper??

DoctaDajman

Like the title asks.  What do you all think would happen to a kandra if they were able to burn A-Copper.   Would the copper cloud they produce create for them more protection against the flaw?   Could it hide them from harmony or at least make them more resistant to his will?  Has it been asked or tried before and I am missing it?  

There is no way that Harmony couldn't penetrate a coppercloud. If Vin could do it with a single spike, then Harmony can do it. Now, against mistborn, I'd suspect that it would render them more resistant to their Hemalurgic flaw. However, most allomancers aren't strong enough to take control of a Kandra without one of the enhancement metals anyway, so we've never seen it be tried, nor are we likely to. Combine that with the fact that its difficult for Kandra to gain access to Allomancy, and it becomes even more unlikely that we ever will.

• 2 weeks later...

So if A copper doesn't really offer protection, would specific blessings offer more protection to a kandra than just a copper cloud?  Is it the blessing of presence or blessing of stability that acts like an aluminum hat for kandra?  According to the wiki one of them helps resist A zinc and brass and the other helps against shards control? 

There isn't a ton of depth on any of the wiki pages for specific blessings and exactly what they do.  I have a new found interest in kandra as of late and am curious how powerful a blessing is when compared to other parts of systems.  I think one page likened awareness to A tin, but does it cut through the mists like tin or is it more magnified vision when needed like a feruchemist.   Same thing with potency.  Does the blessing that increases physical aspects of a kandra work more like koloss just taking human strength.  It seems it offers an amount of speed and aids in endurance as well but maybe doesn't offer the density and healing that say A pewter does.  

Kandra are awesome and I really hope Wax and Wayne part 4 sheds more light on them.  

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2021 at 5:42 PM, HSuperLee said:

There is no way that Harmony couldn't penetrate a coppercloud. If Vin could do it with a single spike, then Harmony can do it. Now, against mistborn, I'd suspect that it would render them more resistant to their Hemalurgic flaw. However, most allomancers aren't strong enough to take control of a Kandra without one of the enhancement metals anyway, so we've never seen it be tried, nor are we likely to. Combine that with the fact that its difficult for Kandra to gain access to Allomancy, and it becomes even more unlikely that we ever will.

Well, a Kandra could be protected by a smoker misting, which is possible, though very difficult, as in this WoB: 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/233-west-jordan-signing/#e6884

I think a kandra simply wearing tons of thin aluminum tiles as a kind of exoskeleton would by much simpler though. This will probably blow their cover however

1 hour ago, HavingTheHasHoidAPurpose? said:

Well, a Kandra could be protected by a smoker misting, which is possible, though very difficult, as in this WoB: 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/233-west-jordan-signing/#e6884

I think a kandra simply wearing tons of thin aluminum tiles as a kind of exoskeleton would by much simpler though. This will probably blow their cover however

I believe that kandra can manipulate their bind points and could likely shift their spikes to a spot that is much easier to conceal in aluminum.   Would it need to be completely encapsulated though?  If a kandra took an aluminum sphere and cut it in half could they then wrap it around their spikes and hold it in their body?  How much tissue would have to be exposed to keep it from ruining their sentience?  If they have enough spike not guarded by aluminum to stay sentient would that be more than enough spike left for a shard to take hold of?  

2 hours ago, HavingTheHasHoidAPurpose? said:

Actually, that may be a bit more feasible than you'd think. People only need to wear aluminum hats to protect against emotional Allomancy. So, if a Kandra could surround its brain with aluminum, I would think it would have the same effect. And if Milan was being serious, they can put their brain pretty much anywhere in their bodies. 

22 hours ago, Harrycrapper said:

Actually, that may be a bit more feasible than you'd think. People only need to wear aluminum hats to protect against emotional Allomancy. So, if a Kandra could surround its brain with aluminum, I would think it would have the same effect. And if Milan was being serious, they can put their brain pretty much anywhere in their bodies. 

Kandra have their brain matter scattered throughout their bodies. I'll have to fetch the quote when I can get on my laptop. 

2 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

Kandra have their brain matter scattered throughout their bodies. I'll have to fetch the quote when I can get on my laptop. 

Found it.

zas678

TenSoon wonders, and I wonder too- How can kandra think and be sentient without brains? Doesn't the body need a physical coordinator to relay between the Physical and Cognitive realm? Or do the spikes do a good enough job with that?

Brandon Sanderson

I imagine kandra having a non-centralized nervous system, with brain power spread through their bodies. Well, non-centralized is probably the wrong way to say it. They have lobes of thought and memory attached to muscles here and there, and don't have a single 'brain.' They certainly have brain-like material, though.

@Trusk'our

What do you suppose that means for a kandra if faced against a shardblade.  Would a strike to any portion of their brain be enough to insta kill them or do you think they would simply lose that portion of their body?   Realistically I feel like you would have to whittle a kandra down bit by bit if their brain is distributed throughout their body but it could well be the opposite and a shardblade against a kandra is more powerful that against a normal human with a single centralized nervous system.  

I loved the idea of some world hopping kandra getting ahold of enough aluminum to build a truebody out of it and hide their more vital organs under an aluminum ribcage.   The look on a shard bearers face when their weapon starts to fuzz and then suddenly hits solid aluminum would be fun.  

56 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

@Trusk'our

What do you suppose that means for a kandra if faced against a shardblade.  Would a strike to any portion of their brain be enough to insta kill them or do you think they would simply lose that portion of their body?   Realistically I feel like you would have to whittle a kandra down bit by bit if their brain is distributed throughout their body but it could well be the opposite and a shardblade against a kandra is more powerful that against a normal human with a single centralized nervous system.  

I loved the idea of some world hopping kandra getting ahold of enough aluminum to build a truebody out of it and hide their more vital organs under an aluminum ribcage.   The look on a shard bearers face when their weapon starts to fuzz and then suddenly hits solid aluminum would be fun.  

There are multiple quotes I was able to find on the Arcanum regarding this topic. I have put them in order of oldest going first, and having the most resent one on the bottom.

NeedsAdjustment

If a kandra's limb was cut by a Shardblade, would it be able to heal/regrow?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

greaterbookwyrm

What happens when you cut a kandra with a Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

So a kandra is going to react basically the same way, in that the Shardblade's going to be hitting at the soul and severing it and things like that. They are not immune to Shardblades. But because they have mutable shapes, there will be a little bit of weirdness involved in that. You'll get to see that happen eventually.

Questioner (paraphrased)

Would a Shardblade hurt a Kandra?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

A Shardblade would not kill a Kandra outright, but it would do significant damage.

So a Kandra wouldn't be immune to a shardblade, but they would be able to heal from wounds caused by them, and I suspect that they would be able to survive being cut through major parts of their body so long as a large enough portion of them remains intact. Additionally, they could likely play dead once the shardbearer attacked them, then heal later, assuming they survive, of course.