POKEMON

2 minutes ago, Frustration said:

There's only one of each legendary, so how do they have biological ancestors?

Is there only one of each legendary? I thought there were multiple of some legendary Pokémon such as the legendary birds trio from the original game.

Edited by UnfortunatelyNamed

5 hours ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Is there only one of each legendary? I thought there were multiple of some legendary Pokémon such as the legendary birds trio from the original game.

I've always operated under the assumption there was always one and they migrated

5 hours ago, Invocation said:

At least the designs aren't awful.

They are super cool.

I'm not sure how I feel about Hydrosteam, I feel it will probably completely invalidate sun as a playstyle, as rain teams want Walking Wake already, so they can slot it on, and then imediately counter any sun team they come up against.

It has protosynthesys so even Chloryphil sweepers will have a hard time dealing with it.

3 minutes ago, Frustration said:

There's something about them changing appearance after they eat the fruit of that one tree somewhere.

Don't remember where at the moment though.

Could be a form change for Suicune too. Primal energies or some such, or perhaps Ho-oh’s revival caused it to transform into the modern form.

On 2/28/2023 at 4:06 PM, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Could be a form change for Suicune too. Primal energies or some such, or perhaps Ho-oh’s revival caused it to transform into the modern form.

I suppose that's true.

I've been looking at Walking Wake more, and I'm more convinced that it will invalidate Sun teams.

With 244 Spa, and 252 speed, Timid nature, life orb, Hydro steam, Draco meteor, Flamethrower, and Agility, you are pretty much uncounterable.

If you get a turn to set up you outspeed just about everything, and with the protosynthesis boost you even exceed Chloryphil choice scarfers.

You can kill anything other than dedicated walls in one to two hits, and nothing can outspeed to kill you.

Garganacl is the only thing I can find that a sun team could use for actual counterplay, while rain teams have Azumeril.

22 hours ago, Frustration said:

With 244 Spa, and 252 speed, Timid nature, life orb, Hydro steam, Draco meteor, Flamethrower, and Agility, you are pretty much uncounterable

I personally think that if you're boosting your speed via Agility, Proto-boosting it as well is a bit of a waste. IMO, Proto-speed is best on the sun specs set. I guess tho sometimes you can't get an Agility off but need a speed boost so it's definitely a solid set.

On 2/28/2023 at 10:33 AM, Frustration said:

So, paradox legendaries.

I'm not sure how to feel about this, on the one hand, they look awesome, but on the other hand it feels like they are determined to prove legendaries aren't one of a kind, unless they just changed a ton over the years.

The lore behind Paradoxes is that they're from alternate dimensions, not really the same Pokemon nor ancestors, just sort of equivalents.

54 minutes ago, The Storming Stormfather said:

I personally think that if you're boosting your speed via Agility, Proto-boosting it as well is a bit of a waste. IMO, Proto-speed is best on the sun specs set. I guess tho sometimes you can't get an Agility off but need a speed boost so it's definitely a solid set.

The lore behind Paradoxes is that they're from alternate dimensions, not really the same Pokemon nor ancestors, just sort of equivalents.

Pokemon has gotten really weird since I kinda stopped paying attention after USUM. I've completed that pokedex at least.

You guys pay a whole lot more attention to the meta than I do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Just_a_Fan_YT said:

what is the highest tear flareon in?

Flareon has never been above NeverUsed (the third tier below OverUsed) and it's only in NU then due to there being no official tiers below NU. 

Explanation:

Spoiler

The main problems with Flareon are these four things, its typing, its stats, its abilities and competition for a team slot as a fire-type.

First its typing. Mono-Fire typing is bad in most singles metas/tiers, Weaknesses to Ground, Water and Rock-type moves are terrible, but with some intelligent teambuilding, this isn't really an issue. Pre Gen 4, Flareon has some things going for it, it's before the advent of Steath Rock, Power Creep hasn't gone too far yet and it even has a somewhat good move pool. However, prior to Gen 4, it doesn't have any Physical STAB for its monstrous base 130 Attack and in Gen 4 and beyond, Steath Rock take 25% of its HP on switch-in.

Second its stats. As I said above, Flareon has an incredible base Attack of 130. However, just about every other stat is mediocre or useless. Why Gamefreak gave this thing base 110 SpDef is beyond me to explain. If it was flipped with Flareon's speed stat it would be terrifying instead of a welcome sight on any opponent's team, but as is with Flareon's low Speed and weaknesses to common offensive types AND Steath Rock, it's a little underwhelming.

Third is Flareon's Abilities. Flash Fire and Guts are solid and good abilities respectively, but Flash Fire is nearly useless on it and since it only got Guts in Gen 5, Flareon was already on a timer from SR (Steath Rock) and recoil from Flare Blitz so adding Toxic Poison (as Fire-types can't be burned) on top of that means it KOs itself before really does anything. Sure, it could pop off every once in a while, but that leads the last thing.

Fourth, competition for a team slot as a fire-type. Flareon is super inconsistent. It has sky-high base attack, meaning it can KO just about anything, but it's so slow that a lot of other Pokemon will outspeed and KO it first. You're really better off using a more consistent Fire-type like Rapidash or Charizard with their better speed and better move pools.

TL:DR, Flareon has some great traits, but its typing and atrocious speed mean it really can't do anything.

Finally I want to add a personal note. I feel your pain (if you felt any reading this). My personal favorite Pokemon is Meganium, the worst starter Pokemon ever, and its lack of anything useful in-game does sadly translate to the competitive scene. I still love my precious flower dinosaur and I always will, but it probably won't ever be anything good competitively.

24 minutes ago, The Storming Stormfather said:

Flareon has never been above NeverUsed (the third tier below OverUsed) and it's only in NU then due to there being no official tiers below NU. 

Explanation:

Reveal hidden contents

The main problems with Flareon are these four things, its typing, its stats, its abilities and competition for a team slot as a fire-type.

First its typing. Mono-Fire typing is bad in most singles metas/tiers, Weaknesses to Ground, Water and Rock-type moves are terrible, but with some intelligent teambuilding, this isn't really an issue. Pre Gen 4, Flareon has some things going for it, it's before the advent of Steath Rock, Power Creep hasn't gone too far yet and it even has a somewhat good move pool. However, prior to Gen 4, it doesn't have any Physical STAB for its monstrous base 130 Attack and in Gen 4 and beyond, Steath Rock take 25% of its HP on switch-in.

Second its stats. As I said above, Flareon has an incredible base Attack of 130. However, just about every other stat is mediocre or useless. Why Gamefreak gave this thing base 110 SpDef is beyond me to explain. If it was flipped with Flareon's speed stat it would be terrifying instead of a welcome sight on any opponent's team, but as is with Flareon's low Speed and weaknesses to common offensive types AND Steath Rock, it's a little underwhelming.

Third is Flareon's Abilities. Flash Fire and Guts are solid and good abilities respectively, but Flash Fire is nearly useless on it and since it only got Guts in Gen 5, Flareon was already on a timer from SR (Steath Rock) and recoil from Flare Blitz so adding Toxic Poison (as Fire-types can't be burned) on top of that means it KOs itself before really does anything. Sure, it could pop off every once in a while, but that leads the last thing.

Fourth, competition for a team slot as a fire-type. Flareon is super inconsistent. It has sky-high base attack, meaning it can KO just about anything, but it's so slow that a lot of other Pokemon will outspeed and KO it first. You're really better off using a more consistent Fire-type like Rapidash or Charizard with their better speed and better move pools.

TL:DR, Flareon has some great traits, but its typing and atrocious speed mean it really can't do anything.

Finally I want to add a personal note. I feel your pain (if you felt any reading this). My personal favorite Pokemon is Meganium, the worst starter Pokemon ever, and its lack of anything useful in-game does sadly translate to the competitive scene. I still love my precious flower dinosaur and I always will, but it probably won't ever be anything good competitively.

Honestly Meganium deserved a paradox form. It fits the prehistoric theme so well.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, CrypticSpren said:

Doesn't the baton pass ban set a precedent for the shed tail ban? "Move that gets a sweeper on the board pre-stacked" has been deemed OP already.

I don't really play singles though so not sure if that's how stuff works.

It did yes.

On 4/6/2023 at 9:20 PM, The Storming Stormfather said:

so, flareon is just a slightly better missingno., comp speaking. missing number has insane attack, but a def of ZERO, and pitiful speed.

best one can do is set up trick room. (if that existed back then.)

Edited by Just_a_Fan_YT
idk.

14 minutes ago, Just_a_Fan_YT said:

so, flareon is just a slightly better missingno., comp speaking. missing number has insane attack, but a def of ZERO, and pitiful speed.

best one can do is set up trick room. (if that existed back then.)

Trickroom is really bad in singles, it takes too much effort to set up.