Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hazy

Scholarly Bondsmiths

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums. Sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere else.

I have been thinking about Bondsmiths, Connection, and why it's so dangerous lately,

In this series, we have a reoccurring issue that happens when a Bondsmith starts trying to understand their powers and it usually ends badly. Ishar played with the surges and destroyed a planet. He is doing experiments with Spren. I have a hunch he is playing with adjusting connection so he can escape Roshar. When Melishi discovered how to seal Ba-Ado-Mishram in a gem it damaged everything on Rosthar as stated by the Sibling. The events that followed were the Recreance. What did the Radiants know that we don't?  Lastly, Dalinar is literally changing the very nature of the Stormfather. Now we have another Bondsmith...

Navani has been set up and this scholar amongst scholars type character. I imagine that she is going to apply her skills in this to her new Bondsmith powers. I can only imagine what she might discover. Can a Bondsmith allow Rosharins and their Spren to world hop? Can a Shard be uninvested/connected from a system?  What even is Adhesion? Navani is the perfect meta gateway to some high-level Cosmere mombo-jumbo (or would it be Capital Mombo-Jumbo?). That being said eventually, she is going to mess around and find out something she shouldn't. It's the nature of a scientist. I would love to see Brandon parallel her story to J. Robert Oppenhiemer and how he felt when he realizes what he created with the atomic bomb. I am terrified for book 5

Edited by Hazy

Very true - Bondsmiths are absolutely terrifying. I've seen a number of theories that Dalinar will mess up the Stormfather/Highstorms somehow to bring in the Night of Sorrows. We still don't really know where some of Dalinar's warm visions have come from, but they've been Nohadon-related and he was also a Bondsmith (I think so at least).

If Odium’s champion wins the contest and Dalinar serves him, I’m legitimately frightened, though I’m not sure what will happen to Dalinar and the Stormfather’s bond if Dalinar becomes a Fused.

2 hours ago, #1_Taln_Fan said:

If Odium’s champion wins the contest and Dalinar serves him, I’m legitimately frightened, though I’m not sure what will happen to Dalinar and the Stormfather’s bond if Dalinar becomes a Fused.

Want a spoiler?

Spoiler

It won't happen, Brandon named his son after Dalinar, zero chance he turns evil.

I mean, half of Navani's arc in ROW is her seeing if she could without thinking if she should (or at very least, 'let's see if I can figure out how to kill Fused while also showing the Fused how to kill Radiant spren').

Combined with her 'we'll figure out how I'll overcome your main reason not to bond with me after you've bonded with me'attitude to the Sibling, I'd be surprised if she didn't end up doing or discovering something she shouldn't.

18 hours ago, Frustration said:

Want a spoiler?

Hide contents

It won't happen, Brandon named his son after Dalinar, zero chance he turns evil.

Brandon named his son after Dalinar?! 

What?!

2 minutes ago, Theldragor said:

Brandon named his son after Dalinar?! 

What?!

Yep, talked about it in one of his livestreams

7 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Yep, talked about it in one of his livestreams

Yoooooo we got a Dalinar Sanderson less goooooo

On 10/14/2021 at 2:54 AM, Frustration said:

Want a spoiler?

Reveal hidden contents

While I might agree that this is true long term - I can't say this guarantees Book 5 safety, only by Book 10 safety, if that makes any sense. In a similar vein, I doubt

Spoiler

Brandon wants his son Dalinar (I think it's more like Dalin, but unsure of spelling) to follow the early example of Dalinar. But if Dalinar does fall again, I think we can guarantee he will rise somehow a better man, even as a Fused.