Symphematric

Detritus meaning

5 posts in this topic

I started a new term of classes today, and one of them is a class about trash.

The teacher assigned some reading today, and as I was reading I noticed the word detritus.

That sparked my attention as I’d heard of it in these books. So I looked it up out of curiosity since I didn’t already know it’s meaning. According to Google,

de·tri·tus
/dəˈtrīdəs/
noun
waste or debris of any kind.

I like the meaning behind this planet and how (possible spoiler, blurred)
Spoiler

the Human race is seen as unnecessary and a waste to the Superiority.

I like the use of this word, and just wanted to point it out. Touché, Sanderson.

Edited by Atusiff

I thought that it was called Detrius because of the space junk orbiting the planet. (Okay, not space junk, ruins of the planetary shield. Same difference.)

4 hours ago, Shard of Reading said:

I thought that it was called Detrius because of the space junk orbiting the planet. (Okay, not space junk, ruins of the planetary shield. Same difference.)

Well, I thought about that, but (spoiler again) the junk used to be working machinery for another human civilization, until they were killed.

But then again it was probably named that by the newer generation on that planet, to them it was always junk.

Edited by Atusiff

5 hours ago, Atusiff said:

But then again it was probably named that by the newer generation on that planet, to them it was always junk.

I wonder what the name was before? We have confirmation it wasn't always called Detritus, and I wonder when it was changed and what it was initially. Did they change it after the delver incident turned it into trash for their purposes? Maybe that's why it was avoided as a planet, the name had some reminder of the massacre from attempting to harness the delvers. Surely if whatever other name the planet had in the past was registered in the Defiant or somewhere in the memory banks of the fleet. Surely it wouldn't have been abandoned so entirely after only the 75-80 years since the Defiant's crash. 

I guess that's another question to add to my pile to ask BSandy.

Brandon's recent newsletter mentions the recently-published book "Defending Elysium" that is "the tale of a universe that wasn’t ready for humankind to be unleashed upon it" that "was the inception of the Skyward books." I haven't read it, but I think the title may imply that Elysium is the original name of the planet. Or I could be totally off… I'll have to read it!

51kZRn3pIfL.jpg

Edited by Edward!