Shards of the Metallic Arts

The Titan God

It is well established in Mistborn that Allomancy is Preservation's magic system, Hemalurgy is Ruin's magic system, and Feruchemy is a combination of both shards. But wouldn't it make sense if Feruchemy was Preservation's magic system as the whole concept of Feruchemy is preserving your attributes for later use. And also, Allomancy would make more sense being a combination of the shards as it is a NetPositive magic system and it is established that combining Preservation and Ruin creates something. Hemalurgy makes sense as Ruin, though. 

22 hours ago, The Titan God said:

It is well established in Mistborn that Allomancy is Preservation's magic system, Hemalurgy is Ruin's magic system, and Feruchemy is a combination of both shards. But wouldn't it make sense if Feruchemy was Preservation's magic system as the whole concept of Feruchemy is preserving your attributes for later use. And also, Allomancy would make more sense being a combination of the shards as it is a NetPositive magic system and it is established that combining Preservation and Ruin creates something. Hemalurgy makes sense as Ruin, though. 

Feruchemy doesn't really preserve anything, it just stores attributes. All Feruchemy really does is change the timing and rate of use of the attribute stored.

I'd argue that it often feels like Feruchemy deteriorates something as a price for boosting it later on, rather than just storing it

Well, Brandon does agree that it seems more Preservation

Questioner

What is Feruchemy, is it tied to any Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Feruchemy, is it tied to any Shard in specific? Yes, they talk about that in the books.

Questioner

Ok, it's like, of Preservation?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, you could say that.

Brandon Sanderson

Because it seems like one Shard, one magic system?

Brandon Sanderson

Here's the thing, it's more that-- They, in their philosophy, say that it's kind of a hybrid between the two, but you could kind of feel that it's more--

Questioner

It seems more Preservation.

Brandon Sanderson

It seems more Preservation, but in-world they think it's kind of a hybrid. The philosophy says that one was kind of net-positive, one was kind of net-negative and one was a hybrid. That's their in-world philosophy. I personally would place it more with Preservation.

Questioner

Ok so more than one magic system can be tied to one Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. 

Questioner

Ok, that's what I wanted to know.

Brandon Sanderson

Here's the thing, the definition of magic system can be, is so fluid. Like you can look at this book and say "how many magic systems are there?". Is Surgebinding one or is it ten?

Questioner

Allomancy's 16--

Brandon Sanderson

Is Allomancy 16 or one, and things like that. So yes multiple magic systems can be tied to a Shard.

Firefight San Francisco signing (Jan. 17, 2015)

8 hours ago, Honorless said:

Well, Brandon does agree that it seems more Preservation

Not neccesarily to respond to you but point of clairification on Brandon's comments

It feels more like Preservation, but Allomancy is of Preservation in canon. 

Edited by Frustration

8 hours ago, Frustration said:

It feels more like Preservation, but Allomancy is more of Preservation in canon. 

Why phrase it like that? While I suppose I could see burning metals to get powers as having a bit of Ruin, I'm pretty sure Allomancy was confirmed as pure Preservation? 

Just now, Honorless said:

Why phrase it like that? While I suppose I could see burning metals to get powers as having a bit of Ruin, I'm pretty sure Allomancy was confirmed as pure Preservation? 

I was like 90-100% brain dead when I wrote that, forgive bad wording.