So FTL travel is more awesome than I thought (DE and Starsight)

Regent

Read Defending Elysium just now and that part where Jason uses FTL travel while dealing with Edmund left me shook. Up until this point, I just assumed that FTL travel worked just like the Weights and Measures hyperjumps, only cytonically, but NO it never occurred to me that *waves hands* FTL travel can achieve that.

I believe that's what he used that's why he was able to penetrate the dude's chest because FTL travel according to the Coppermind is: 

It involves Sensing inwards on oneself and removing oneself from normal space, moving through nowhere to reappear at a different point in normal space, possibly light-years away, in seconds. When reappearing, the performer pushes aside matter at their destination to create the space for themselves. There seems to be no upper limit on the distance travelled; however, the cytonic requires keen awareness of the place they are returning to.

I was like "Damnnnnnn- Imagine if our cytonics in the Skyward series actually manage to discover what other feats can be done with FTL travel, aside from intergalactic hyperjumps." (especially Spensa since that's a cytonic ability she seems to be leaning towards, besides FTL communication)**

It would be pretty freaking cool, though risky since the delvers exist now...which makes me believe that delvers didn't become a thing until the human-alien wars OR the cytonics back then were unimportant to them, at least until something went very wrong.

**Same goes for Jorgen but with Sense instead of FTL, though I can see it becoming a possibility too.

And while we're on the topic of cytonics and DE, have a 12am crackpot theory for Cytonic (no massive spoilers for the excerpt but don't view unless you've finished starsight):

Spoiler

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/373/#e11991

Questioner

Is the Phone Company still a thing?

Brandon Sanderson

They are still around, and I plan to at least have cameos.

---

Assuming the Phone Company cameo plans actually happened, I have a feeling that some of the people/aliens Spensa will meet in the Nowhere are from the PC (or connected to them somehow). It's already obvious that Spin will learn about her cytonic abilities (+ delvers and AIs) in book 3, but imagine if the person who'll train her how to use FTL travel and FTL communication more effectively is a cytonic from the PC themselves--bonus points if they manage to teach her a new ability as well. That would be awesome.

Brade vs Spensa cytonic showdown in future books will happen, I'm betting on it now

Edited by caramel_