The Taboo Future

ConfusedCow

We know that the heart of voidbinding is seeing the future.  We also know that trying to predict the future is taboo in Vorin society.  Indeed, the Vorin church is highly opposed to it.  Why?  Why is trying to see the future such a terrible thing?  Why doesn't Honor give any of his radiants or spren that power?  Why does Odium seem to love giving little glimpses of the future?  Maybe this is just coincidence, the natural expressions of Honor and Odiums' power.   Or..........

Honor doesn't want people to see the future, because there is some terrible secret in visions of the future.  Perhaps a secret that explains the recreance or how Honor died. For example, what if Honor was preparing Roshar to go to war with the other shardworlds? Or what if the destruction of Roshar is inevitable no matter what the radiants do and they're just a delaying tactic, a sacrifice?  What if Honor knows that this struggle is a lost cause? What if voidbinding, seeing the future, is a terrible power because it corrupts people, turns them to Odium, because he has a point?

While its possible, I dont think it was any of those reasons.

Brandon has said that anytime anyone is seeing the future in the Cosmere they are in "dangerous territory"/whatever path to future sight is dangerous.

He didnt finish his sentence but he continued to bring up Shards after the "dangerous territory" comment

I took that to mean that its pretty much only the "bad/evil" Shards that allow/have magic systems with future sight.(Ruin, Odium, Dominion)

it would make sense, these Shards tend to have agendas and probably rely on future sight more than other Shards, and it reflects in their magic systems and what not

Questioner

So voidbinding is-- one part of voidbinding is seeing the future. And atium is also seeing the future. And I notice annotations for Elantris, you said something about seeing the future could go weird-- sends assassins. Is that a running--

Brandon Sanderson

It is a running theme in the cosmere. And it's-- Whatever path you take to do it is dangerous in the cosmere. It's kind of a sign of-- You are in dangerous territory, and drawing upon a Shard that is--

Questioner

Potentially...

Brandon Sanderson

Potentially-- Yes. I mean to say-- Dangerous territory.

Salt Lake City signing (Dec. 16, 2017)

Edited by Eternal Khol

13 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

I took that to mean that its pretty much only the "bad/evil" Shards that allow/have magic systems with future sight.(Ruin, Odium, Dominion)

Honor described himself as having the ability of being able to see the future, and Harmony strongly suggested he can do it too.  I think all the shards are capable of it, but maybe they don't grant the abilities because they don't want individuals like Rennarin cropping up and interfering with what their sight.  Granted, Harmony could be getting it from Ruin, but I think Kelsier gets some level of access to the power through Preservation in Secret History.

Edited by Letryx13

Hello again frustration.  Here are some of the horrible things powered by Odium's magic. Insane spirits possessing the bodies of the living, giant stone monsters, the unmade, red-eyed lightning throwing storm summoners,  world ending apocolypses.  Why is the one thing that got remembered, the deepest fear, fortune telling?

5 minutes ago, Letryx13 said:

Honor described himself as having the ability to being able to see the future, and Harmony strongly suggested he can do it too.  I think all the shards are capable of it, but maybe they don't grant the abilities because they don't want individuals like Rennarin cropping up and interfering with what they see.

I didnt mean other Shards cant see the future, just that Odium and other "bad" Shards are the ones most likely to grant future sight to people or have it in their magic system(voidbinding)

Odium(having an agenda when it comes to other Shards) probably relies on future sight more than say....Whimsy . And that would probably reflect throughout his systems(the unmade, voidbinding, etc...)

and anytime anyone sees the future it  interferes with anyone else seeing the future too, regarless if they are using different Investiture(Honor vs Odium) to see the future.

Renarins abilities should still have messed with Honor's future sight if he was alive. Odium, the Unmade, Voidbinding, and probably Cultivations own future sight even would have messed with Honors future sight.

1 hour ago, ConfusedCow said:

Hello again frustration.  Here are some of the horrible things powered by Odium's magic. Insane spirits possessing the bodies of the living, giant stone monsters, the unmade, red-eyed lightning throwing storm summoners,  world ending apocolypses.  Why is the one thing that got remembered, the deepest fear, fortune telling?

Didn't Honor tell Dalinar in the vision with the Midnight Essence that to speak of the future was forbbiden? Maybe that's why.

29 minutes ago, Letryx13 said:

Didn't Honor tell Dalinar in the vision with the Midnight Essence that to speak of the future was forbbiden? Maybe that's why.

He does. Which is weird, because in the final/first vision, he laments that his futuresight isn't as good as Cultivation's, and that he can't leave much more than he already is.

1 hour ago, Eternal Khol said:

and anytime anyone sees the future it  interferes with anyone else seeing the future too, regarless if they are using different Investiture(Honor vs Odium) to see the future.

Renarins abilities should still have messed with Honor's future sight if he was alive. Odium, the Unmade, Voidbinding, and probably Cultivations own future sight even would have messed with Honors future sight.

Has Sanderson confirmed that?

I know Atium users counter each other that way, but it seems like the shards' sight should cancel each other completely, if they were acting on the same world. Renarrin seems to be a complete blindspot for Odium. Presumably, Rlain is as well. If two shards exist on the same world and each are interacting and trying to influence things on the whole planet, then it seems like neither should be able to see anything. I get that it probably works somewhat differently for shards, but I've actually been curious about this for a while. The only theory I could come up with is future sight stemming from the same shard causes the interference. That's only a guess, but the only situations I can think of this happening are the previously mentioned Atium users, Rennarin, and (I assume) Rlain.

Or is there another example form something I might not have read?

Edited by Letryx13
Misspelling

This is a bit off topic but... I wonder if two Shards(Honor and Cultivation) working together and sharing their every move and intent would be enough to over come the future sight vs future sight problem.

Because the reason you cant see someone elses future(whos seeing it too) is because what they do isnt definite. Its always changing based off what they see in the future too... 

But what if Honor and Cultivation were to share everything important they foresaw and how they were going to act on that information, could they work toward a common goal(defeating odium) without largely disrupting each others future vision?

2 hours ago, Letryx13 said:

Yes, please. I haven't read very many of them.

here you are

Spoiler

Questioner

So the scene at the end of Oathbringer, when Odium is confronting Taravangian and he uses futuresight to expand upon the Diagram, we have this blacked out section with Renarin's name linked to it.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Is that because Renarin's abilities interfere with Odium's futuresight similar to how electrum interferes with atium?

Brandon Sanderson

Any time that someone else is seeing the future in the cosmere, it's going to have ripples against your ability. Like they are-- you can't-- It's the same sort of thing that if-- someone who has access to atium is going to mess up anyone else's futuresight in any way, because once you use that it's going to cause you to act differently, which then-- And remember futuresight is not very good in the cosmere anyway. But yeah, it's just gonna mess things up.

Skyward Seattle signing (Nov. 10, 2018)