The Lord Ruler's Allomantic Strength

Thor

To me, this just says that the Lord Ruler really was much stronger than anyone else when it came to allomancy. Simply put, he could do things nobody else could. Doesn't say why, of course, but that's what this thread was here for - to debate that.

Okay... I'm to lazy to find all the quotes I wanted to respond to in this topic (it's three pages), but here are my observations:

1. Vin finds the Inquisitors harder to control than either the Kandra or the Koloss:

This difference could be because Vin never tries to control inquisitors until after Ruin is free. It might also be because an Inquisitor has more sentience than a koloss (and possibly even more than a kandra, since they are human originally) and that makes them harder to control, despite the spikes. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I think it's pretty clear that for Ruin Inquisitors were the easiest to control, while for Vin they were the hardest. What this means for the Lord Ruler, I don't know.

2. The Lord Ruler being more powerful than Elend:

I agree that savantism, decline of allomantic power in the population, and hemalurgic/feruchemical combinations made the Lord Ruler more powerful than Elend. However, I don't think it is impossible for the well to have had an effect on him. Vin didn't use the power, but Sazed (in a much greater capacity than even the Lord Ruler) did. With the power, Sazed was able to make spook a mistborn. Though he had more power than the Lord Ruler (having two shards in their entirety after all), we know the Lord Ruler was able to do similar things while holding the power (like moving a planet). If Sazed can make a mistborn, I think, while he held the power, the Lord Ruler would have been able to increase a mistborn's power. Because of this, I don't think we can say the Lord Ruler didn't USE the power of the well to increase his allomantic strength. I'm not saying anyone who uses or holds the power is made more powerful. I'm saying that the power could be intentionally used to make someone more powerful. I hope that distinction is clear, since most of the arguments against this seem to be using Vin's holding of the power as evidence.

EDIT: Also, the epigraph says the Lord Ruler's BASE allomantic strength was something the original allomancers had. We know he wasn't including savant-strength or hemalurgic enhancements. He might have left other power-ups out as well with the 'base' distinction.

The Lord Ruler was also able to use his power to conquer the world. I'm not sure if Elend (because without a boost, back then the Lord Ruler likely wouldn't have time to become a savant in everything yet) would be able to do what he did, even if he had the only allomancers in the world on his side and was a feruchemist. It's debatable anyways.

Bah. You're all thinking on this too much. The answer to the entire thing is so incredibly simple.

The Lord Ruler is as strong as he is because of Primary Antagonist Powers. If he wasn't an overwhelming threat, then it would have been too easy to defeat him, and the book would have been boring. The Lord Ruler gained his power through sheer force of plot.

Bah. You're all thinking on this too much. The answer to the entire thing is so incredibly simple.

The Lord Ruler is as strong as he is because of Primary Antagonist Powers. If he wasn't an overwhelming threat, then it would have been too easy to defeat him, and the book would have been boring. The Lord Ruler gained his power through sheer force of plot.

Bah. It is well known that Brandon is Hoid, aka Alcatraz, The Brains of Adolnasium. Are you telling us that his factual account of the events leading to the fall of the Final Empire has been corrupted by something as lowly as 'force of plot'?

Bah. It is well known that Brandon is Hoid, aka Alcatraz, The Brains of Adolnasium. Are you telling us that his factual account of the events leading to the fall of the Final Empire has been corrupted by something as lowly as 'force of plot'?

You dangerously underestimate the power of plot, my friend. You tempt fate and taunt tragedy with your unthinking words, encouraging bad fortune and unsatisfying endings to fall upon you.

Do not say I did not warn you...

• Chaos locked this topic