Why haven’t the Ghostbloods wiped out the set?

1. The Set is too powerful. Perhaps that avatar makes it too difficult for Kel and his agents to get close to the main members of the set for some good old assassination. 

2. They are unaware of the Set. Less likely in my opinion, because there is only one perpendicularity and my guess is the GBs keep a close watch on it. Also my guess would be that the GBs have a large hand in Scadriels current governments and behind the scenes actions. 

3. The GB’s put in charge of Scadrial by Kelsier have turned coat and are now members of the Set. Kelsier either doesn’t know yet or hasn’t made his move yet. 

what other reasons can y’all think off?

4 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Seems like Hoid is asking himself the same question

Not a chance. The GBs wouldn't consider to destroying Scadrial

As far as I recall they want to overthrow the existing government(s) and breed allomancers to take over, not literally destroy the planet. 

FWIW,  this is a corollary to "Kelsier = Trell = Avatar of Autonomy" theory.  Im not saying I buy into it personally, but it is another valid option.  

Just now, Quantus said:

As far as I recall they want to overthrow the existing government(s) and breed allomancers to take over, not literally destroy the planet. 

FWIW,  this is a corollary to "Kelsier = Trell = Avatar of Autonomy" theory.  Im not saying I buy into it personally, but it is another valid option.  

“Our accelerated pace will no longer require the Set to have its full hierarchy.”

“But you need us!” Suit said. “To rule, to manage civilization on—”

“No longer. Recent advances have made civilization here too dangerous. Allowing it to continue risks further advances we cannot control, and so we have decided to remove life on this sphere instead. Thank you for your service; it has been accepted. You will be allowed to serve in another Realm.”

30 minutes ago, mathiau said:

“Our accelerated pace will no longer require the Set to have its full hierarchy.”

“But you need us!” Suit said. “To rule, to manage civilization on—”

“No longer. Recent advances have made civilization here too dangerous. Allowing it to continue risks further advances we cannot control, and so we have decided to remove life on this sphere instead. Thank you for your service; it has been accepted. You will be allowed to serve in another Realm.”

Where is this from? Who is saying this?

45 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Well, the Set had no idea where the Bands of Mourning were, and there's no good reason why Kelsier wouldn't tell them where his most powerful weapon is if he's on their side. We also have a WOB that Kell and Sazed still understand each other and to some degree see each other as friends (despite disapproving of each other's methods). So it's at least extremely unlikely.

Regarding the main question of this thread, the Ghostbloods probably tried, but they are active in the whole Cosmere while the Set - as far as we know - is specific to Scadrial, so their efforts might not be as focused? I don't know. I guess there's a good chance that we'll find out in W&W4.

1 minute ago, Elegy said:

Well, the Set had no idea where the Bands of Mourning were, and there's no good reason why Kelsier wouldn't tell them where his most powerful weapon is if he's on their side. We also have a WOB that Kell and Sazed still understand each other and to some degree see each other as friends (despite disapproving of each other's methods). So it's at least extremely unlikely.

Good point.

I think people are overestimating how powerful the Ghostbloods are. Thaidakar is very capable, has access to a lot of magic, and puts on a good show, but at the end of the day, he’s just a guy. His crew are just people.

The Set, on the other hand, work for Trell, a force which Harmony struggles to deal with. The Ghostbloods are cool, but the Set is out of their league.

(Also, I have no doubt that the Ghostbloods would oppose the Set if they could. The Set works for a tyrannical god. That goes against everything Thaidakar stands for.)

I would think that Thaidakar is involved with the Set or one of his people are involved  in his stead.  He is subtly influencing their actions towards his goals. This doesn't mean that their endgame is his endgame but in the Sets path to victory lies Kelsier goal.

I also think he is doing the same thing with the Ghostbloods 

4 hours ago, RedBlue said:

I think people are overestimating how powerful the Ghostbloods are. Thaidakar is very capable, has access to a lot of magic, and puts on a good show, but at the end of the day, he’s just a guy. His crew are just people.

The Set, on the other hand, work for Trell, a force which Harmony struggles to deal with. The Ghostbloods are cool, but the Set is out of their league.

(Also, I have no doubt that the Ghostbloods would oppose the Set if they could. The Set works for a tyrannical god. That goes against everything Thaidakar stands for.)

It really all comes down to who or what Trell actually is (shard vs Avatar, and of whom).  Also what Thaidakar actually "is" these days.  And how much overlap is in that venn diagram.  I would still very much love to see a plotline of rival Avatars of the same shard...

Seems to me that the human members of the Set are also playing very much out of their league.  As Uncle Suit found out, the goals of the Set (power over the people Scadrial) are suddenly no longer in alignment with the new goals of the red-eyed "Immortals" (sterilization of Scadrial).  The Set may have been an appendage of the army of Trell, but it's one Trell apparently no longer needs.  Conflating the two is misleading at this point.

As far as the GB and the Set being related, it also seems unlikely to me.  Kelsier's philosophy of radical freedom doesn't jibe with the Set's mission to rule... not to mention the slave breeding program.

On 5.10.2021 at 2:55 PM, i’m in the details said:

what other reasons can y’all think off?

5. they are waiting to strike. The Set hasn't done much damage as yet and by observing an enemy you'll learn. And it may be much harder to infiltrate the next attempt.

Though I admit that that suggests that Thaidakar has a way to remotely disable the Bands of Mourning.