Xaladin

Okay, so I wanted to keep the title spoiler free, but the question is this (and I apologize if this is an old question but I couldn’t find it from basic searching):

What if Vin had taken the power at the Well of Ascension instead of freeing Ruin?

Let’s start with a very brief fanfic (I don’t think Brandon will mind, but if he would I can take it down):

You mustn’t do it, child … you know what you must do …”

Vin was supposed to be the Hero of Ages. She needed to be. But unfortunately, she was not that person. She could not, would not, let Elend die. And so she burned the power within her. It was as instinctual to her as burning Atium had been, or any of the metals. Fixing what was wrong with the world would be easy too. Rashek was a fool! She thought…

Okay, I’ll cease butchering this story and get back to the facts. Besides the fact that Brandon already had that played out with Rashek and so repeating history wouldn’t make for as good a story, let’s remember some important facts:

1. Preservation was dying, independent of Ruin’s escape. Would he have lasted longer in this scenario? Possibly, but I don’t think for another 1024 years before the Well refilled.

2. Kelsier is still around. Now, without Ruin loose he wouldn’t have as easily spooked the Ire and Fuzz would have had different plans, etc. etc.

3. Sazed had figured out about Ruin’s ruse, and managed to escape Marsh. He simply wasn’t fast enough to stop Vin. In this scenario, Vin would soon have that knowledge.

4. Vin and Elend would still have a need to reunite the hemispher under their rule. There would basically be another Empire. Woth one key difference though. They aren’t fullborn, and while Rashek was able to create Allomancy, I don’t think he would have been able to make Feruchemists with only Presevervation’s power. Perhaps Vin could have made some other magic?

Thoughts? What have I missed? What would have happened had Vin been “selfish” with the power at the Well of Ascension?

2 hours ago, Xaladin said:

Okay, so I wanted to keep the title spoiler free, but the question is this (and I apologize if this is an old question but I couldn’t find it from basic searching):

What if Vin had taken the power at the Well of Ascension instead of freeing Ruin?

Let’s start with a very brief fanfic (I don’t think Brandon will mind, but if he would I can take it down):

You mustn’t do it, child … you know what you must do …”

Vin was supposed to be the Hero of Ages. She needed to be. But unfortunately, she was not that person. She could not, would not, let Elend die. And so she burned the power within her. It was as instinctual to her as burning Atium had been, or any of the metals. Fixing what was wrong with the world would be easy too. Rashek was a fool! She thought…

Okay, I’ll cease butchering this story and get back to the facts. Besides the fact that Brandon already had that played out with Rashek and so repeating history wouldn’t make for as good a story, let’s remember some important facts:

1. Preservation was dying, independent of Ruin’s escape. Would he have lasted longer in this scenario? Possibly, but I don’t think for another 1024 years before the Well refilled.

2. Kelsier is still around. Now, without Ruin loose he wouldn’t have as easily spooked the Ire and Fuzz would have had different plans, etc. etc.

3. Sazed had figured out about Ruin’s ruse, and managed to escape Marsh. He simply wasn’t fast enough to stop Vin. In this scenario, Vin would soon have that knowledge.

4. Vin and Elend would still have a need to reunite the hemispher under their rule. There would basically be another Empire. Woth one key difference though. They aren’t fullborn, and while Rashek was able to create Allomancy, I don’t think he would have been able to make Feruchemists with only Presevervation’s power. Perhaps Vin could have made some other magic?

Thoughts? What have I missed? What would have happened had Vin been “selfish” with the power at the Well of Ascension?

I think Vin would've seen the hemalurgic spike earing for what it was, and thereby taken up the shard of Preservation much earlier, only now Ruin would be trapped, and she would be free. She probably could've killed Ati, maybe splintered the shard. If she couldn't, then maybe Kelsier would've picked up the shard. This all assumes, of course, that she wouldn't just kill everyone on the planet while trying to save it using the power of the well.

3 hours ago, Xaladin said:

We don't know if using the power would free kelsier. If using the power still keeps Ruin trapped, it's safe to say Kelsier would be trapped with Ruin. And probably go mad.