Highly speculative theory on the origin of shades

Oltux72

We know that pre-Evil Threnody used certain rites to make Cognitive Shadows they used for some purposes among them warfare and travel in the Cognitive Realm.

Now, as rites are apparently necessary, we have to ask what happens if you mess them up. The answer may very well be: you make shades. If that happens, you have a problem on your hands. They are quite dangerous and nothing you could tolerate around you if you want to sustain an industrialized (or even bronze age) way of life. Outright killing them with silver would be murder. So I would propose that they put them on ships and let them sail without a crew. Or, if you are nicer, you have a priesthood or secret society whose task is to transfer them to that useless continent they are keeping secret. Until those repugnant fanatic Forescouts messed everything up.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect that you're right about the ritual thing to an extent. My thought is Nahz and the og threnodites could turn themselves into CS to travel the cosmere, and that there was many of the CS people just living among the normal people. Once the Evil came it currupted the Investitutre and turned all the normal freindly ghost peeps into shades. That could be why Silence's grandma won't attack her, because they retain a smigin of control still. 

• 4 months later...
On 6.10.2021 at 4:26 PM, i’m in the details said:

I suspect that you're right about the ritual thing to an extent. My thought is Nahz and the og threnodites could turn themselves into CS to travel the cosmere, and that there was many of the CS people just living among the normal people. Once the Evil came it currupted the Investitutre and turned all the normal freindly ghost peeps into shades. That could be why Silence's grandma won't attack her, because they retain a smigin of control still. 

Raising the question why there were Shades on an uninhabitated continent.