First post! Intro! Here we go! :)

sugjesstive

Hello 17th Shard! 

My name is Jess. I'm 29 years old, living in New York, and thrilled to finally be posting here! I've been bingeing Shardcast podcasts for the last 6 months, and right away, I could tell that Sanderson people are my type of people. It was only a matter of time until I joined this forum. :)

I have already made a mental note not to accept ANY cookies. 

Random fun facts: I'm allergic to mosquitos. My favorite band is Bayside. My boyfriend's name is Jesse, so I make a lot of "Jess" puns. I'm attending New York Comic Con in a few weeks! And when I was 12, I started and ran a moderately successful BBRae (Teen Titans) forum. 

Introduction to Brandon Sanderson: Way of Kings in 2018! I jumped right into it after taking a looooong hiatus from reading, and it absolutely shook me. I really credit this book with motivating me to get my life together. I'd been suffering from depression and anxiety for many years; relating a little too hard to Kal and Shallan was disconcerting. I decided to go back to therapy; figured out a proper balance of medication. Life has genuinely been significantly better ever since.

(After WoK, I inhaled the rest of Stormlight. Then all 6 Mistborn, and then... well. Everything in the cosmere. EXCEPT DAWNSHARD! I WANT A PHYSICAL COPY. AGH.)

Thanks for letting me ramble!

Here's a photo of my dog, Spaghetti, from last Christmas. She's a 1.5 year old jack russel terrier/beagle/piranha mix. 

May be an image of dog

Welcome here Jess!  Glad to have you.  Hope to see you around the boards and chatting on the discord!  I love teen titans back in the day (huge Raven fan), so maybe that discussion will come up some point in the future.

As someone who started with medication fairly recently, congrats on making some progress with your mental health - hope being here is a continuation of things looking up.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to thank you guys for your patience as my ass took 33 days to come back here and respond. (Life, work, Comic Con, and a few other things came up this month!)

On 9/22/2021 at 11:21 AM, Comatose said:

Welcome here Jess!  Glad to have you.  Hope to see you around the boards and chatting on the discord!  I love teen titans back in the day (huge Raven fan), so maybe that discussion will come up some point in the future.

As someone who started with medication fairly recently, congrats on making some progress with your mental health - hope being here is a continuation of things looking up.

Thank you for your kindness!
I look forward to any & all conversations about Raven (and mental health too) in the future, friend. 

On 9/22/2021 at 0:21 PM, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

You sure you dont want a cookie? welcome to the shard jess.

...A cookie from the Lord of Scars himself?! I must admit, I am painfully tempted.

On 9/22/2021 at 1:42 PM, Shard of Reading said:

Don’t take the cookies!!! They’re a trap!!!!

Also, who’s your favorite character?

My favorites change constantly! In the world of Stormlight: Teft, Shallan, Pattern, Rock, Kal, Dalinar, Adolin, Renarin, SO MANY!

On 9/22/2021 at 6:46 PM, Not an Ookla said:

Welcome to the Shard! Your dog looks very cute! Who's your least favorite character?

Spaghetti thanks you for calling her cute!

My LEAST favorite? Probably Moash/Vyre, or even honestly Kelsier (in terms of LATE world, beyond-the-grave stuff). Hated Amaram and Sadaes too! But that's what made them decent villains. 

For a while I specifically disliked Veil. But she grew on me by the end of RoW!