Hoid, The Skaze and Yolen

I just read the postscript of Elantris tenth anniversary edition and wewhee that contains some puzzles, one caught my attention more then others when the skate said, "you did not get the powers you promised us you would get." I immediately thought about how Hoid refused to become a shard, and that somewhere it mentions that Skaze and Seons were around before the shattering.

I am preposing that Yolen is Sel, no-one can find Yolen because Yolen is Sel. the plasma field around sel in the cognitive realm has prevented study of the planet for a long time and just now are they discovering things about it. Sel is Yolen, people of the shard convince me this is not a good theory.

I'm afraid not :ph34r:

Hoid tried to become an Elantrian there, but he didn't figure out how to actually do it - which is why he reverts to stealing the Moon Scepter:

Questioner

Are we ever going to see the Moon Scepter on screen and what it does?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, you should see the Moon Scepter on screen. What it does is it works as a kind of Rosetta Stone for interpreting some of the magics.

Questioner

So that's why Hoid wanted it?

Brandon Sanderson

That's why Hoid wanted it, yes. He's  trying to figure out how to give himself-- To be able to use the magics on Sel, and that's a key that he wanted.

Skyward Houston signing (Nov. 19, 2018)

Sel is also not Yolen for several reasons. The Cosmere standard is Yolish, and Sel's size is 1.5 Cosmere standard. Also, Yolen has no Shards:

Pagerunner

In The Traveler, which you read here [at a prior JordanCon], Hoid was on Yolen. He has only worldhopped with perpendicularities. Does Yolen have a perpendicularity?

Brandon Sanderson

Yolen has something very similar.

Pagerunner

Okay, is it associated with a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

You would call it a perpendicularity, but there is not a Shard in residence on Yolen.

JordanCon 2021 (July 16, 2021)

9 minutes ago, Elegy said:

I'm afraid not :ph34r:

Hoid tried to become an Elantrian there, but he didn't figure out how to actually do it - which is why he reverts to stealing the Moon Scepter:

Sel is also not Yolen for several reasons. The Cosmere standard is Yolish, and Sel's size is 1.5 Cosmere standard. Also, Yolen has no Shards:

oh :( welp this happens whenever I try to theory, I once had the bright idea that Trell was Dalinar.

24 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

it mentions that Skaze and Seons were around before the shattering.

They were not, they were created when Odium killed Dom and Dev

Kogiopsis (paraphrased)

How long before the events of Elantris did Odium kill Aona/Devotion and Skai/Dominion?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Same time as the origins of the seons.

Footnote: Kogiopsis: This was the second-closest I came to getting RAFO'd. He was sort of jovially apologetic about this answer; I tried to get a solid number of years but to no avail.
Rithmatist Denver signing (May 16, 2013)
6 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

oh :( welp this happens whenever I try to theory, I once had the bright idea that Trell was Dalinar.

Don't worry, that happens to everyone all the time, especially me.

29 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

and that somewhere it mentions that Skaze and Seons were around before the shattering.

You're probably thinking of this WoB where he started to say seons, then corrected himself. Spren predate the Shattering as a general category, but the sapient ones came later.

Yeah, we know for certain that Sel isn't Yolen. 

My theory is that Yolen might be somewhere in the Scar. The red is related to corrupted Investiture, which might have been all created and spread around the Scar during the Shattering. That is at least how I think of it.