Aonic Modifiers

Phlipz1

Question

Ive been rereading elantris and aon dor has quickly become my favourite magic system. but one of its stipulations it that you need modifiers (a knowledge of them) as well as the aons themselves in order for it to be at all useful. like a computer program with no functions

i believe we have one modifiers which is something along the lines of 'drawing 2 lines on top of the aon tia to make it only affect ones self'

question is- and i know its been asked before (but in 2017/18) do we have any idea about modifiers that exist? any lists of them made? also welcoming peoples own modifiers because wide enough spread terms have become things before, for example the term 'shardpools' was coined by us and not brandon, who later began using it

back off the tangent: any modifiers we know, any lists we have (if any), and anyones own headcannon

1 answer to this question

I am not aware of any list that's been compiled, and I don't think Brandon's released any modifiers other than what we see in the books.  We know there are modifiers to increase range or power, and for healing we know that modifiers can be used to target specific parts of the body or types of wounds (source: Elantris chapters 34, 46, 49, 53, 55, 62) .  My guess is that he's trying to keep it intentionally vague until he needs to canonize it to avoid locking something in that won't make sense later.  For some things like modifiers or bindpoints in hemalurgy that have a lot of possible permutations, I think Brandon tends to keep things more flexible.  

Elantris was written before the idea of the Cosmere had really crystalized as well, so I'm sure there were some background adjustments to the magic system as a whole once Brandon got the rest of the universe figured out.  

Brandon has stated that Aon Ehe (Fire) can be modified to have a longer duration, or can be modified to create a ward that sets off other Aon chains (like a spark I assume).