Shard Names in Other Languages

Zoey

4 hours ago, Shaukan-son-Hasweth said:

Also in the german Harmony is "Der Einträchtige". I don't think this has been mentioned

Oops yeah, thanks! I had that in the back of my head because I read the German version of Alloy of Law back when it came out. But that was 10 years ago and I wasn't quite sure anymore.

For non-German speakers, you could translate it as "The Harmonious One" (male). Again, more a title than a Shard name, comparable with "Bebauerin" (a female person who cultivates in the agricultural sense) for Cultivation. The actual word "Eintracht" (basically Harmony) might be associated with a soccer club, so I understand not going for that one. But "Harmonie" is a word in German, and although that one is more closely related to music that the English equivalent, it would still have worked well in my opinion.

1 hour ago, spaidapig said:

"Die Tänzerin am Abgrund" is also only the title for the Shortstory and not the Edgedancer Radiants. The Radiants are called "Grattänzer", where "Grat" is "ridge" in English, but it has an awesome nice ring to it.

Definitely worth mentioning, yeah. That said, I personally think "Grattänzer" is not nearly as evocative as the Englisch word. There's a YA steampunk style fantasty series called The Edge Chronicles that had a flying ship also called Edgedancer, and it was translated as "Klippentänzer", which sounds way better in my opinion. It is more clearly a physical edge (like a slope) in that case though. I can't really imagine a picture of someone dancing on a "Grat" since that's a very vague word ... nothing really visually evocative in my opinion, which I would try to go for as a translator.

But it goes to show how much of translation is a matter of personal preference :ph34r: Which is why I mostly try to read the original text if possible nowadays

Edit: It is weird that they used two different translations for the Order of the Edgedancers and the novella title Edgedancer. I guess the publisher didn't think the ring was nice enough to make it a book name?

Edited by Elegy

17 hours ago, Elegy said:

It is weird that they used two different translations for the Order of the Edgedancers and the novella title Edgedancer. I guess the publisher didn't think the ring was nice enough to make it a book name?

Yeah, this always bothered me. I really don't like the book title. 
And I wouldn't be surprised to find out, that they didn't notice it by themselves.

On the other hand, most of the German book titles are really bad and do not fit the english ones, so it doens't surprise me either, that Edgedancer got messed with.

On 21.09.2021 at 6:30 PM, Zoey said:

I was curious in seeing what the names of Shards are in other languages. as in the official translations. 

Note, some of the Translations are not exactly the same as the English meaning, look at the comments below to see the actual meaning of some of them. 

Devotion (English) | Devotion (German) |  奉獻 (fèng xiàn) (Chinese) | Oddanie (Polish)

Dominion (English) | Dominium (German) | 統治 (tǒng zhì) (Chinese) | Dominacja (Polish)

Preservation (English) |  Conservación (Spanish) | Bewahr (German) | 保存 [Hozon] (Japanese) |  存留 (cún liú) (Chinese) | Zachowanie (Polish)

Ruin (English) | Ruin (German) | 破壊 [Hakai] (Japanese) | 滅絕 (miè jué) (Chinese) |  Zniszczenie (Polish)

Odium (English) | Odium (Spanish) | Odium (German) | 憎悪 (オディウム) [Zouo] (Japanese) | 憎惡 (zēng è) (Chinese) | Odium (Polish)

Cultivation (English) | Bebauerin (German) | 養成 (カルティヴェイション) [Yousei] (Japanese) | 培養 (péi yǎng) (Chinese) | Pielęgnacja (Polish)

Honor (English) | Honor (Spanish) | Ehr (German) | 誇り (オナー) [Hokori] (Japanese) | 榮譽 (róng yù) (Chinese) | Honor (Polish)

Endowment (English) | Dotación (Spanish) | Gabe (German) | 捐助 (juān zhù) (Chinese)

Autonomy (English) | 自主 (zì zhǔ) (Chinese) | Niezależność (Polish)

Ambition (English) |  Ehrgeiz (German) | 野心 (yě xīn) (Chinese) | Ambicja (Polish)

Harmony (English) | 和諧 (hé xié) (Chinese) | Harmonia (Polish)

Invention (English) |  Invention (German)

Mercy (English) |  Piedad (Spanish) | Gnade (German)

Valor (English) | Mut (German)

Whimsy (English) |  Schrulle (German)

Truthwatcher (English) | Vigilante de la verdad (Spanish)

Windrunner (English) | Corredor/a del viento  (Spanish)

Skybreaker (English) | Rompedor/a del cielo  (Spanish)

Bondsmith (English) | Forjador/a de vínculos  (Spanish)

Elsecaller (English) | Nominador/a de lo otro  (Spanish) | Aufscheiner (German)

Stoneward (English) | Custodio/a de piedra  (Spanish)

Lightweaver (English) | Tejedor/a de luz  (Spanish) | Lichtweber (German)

Dustbringer (English) | Portador/a del polvo  (Spanish)

Edgedancer (English) | Danzante del filo  (Spanish) | Die Tänzerin am Abgrund (German) | Tancerka Krawędzi (Polish)

Willshaper (English) | Escultor/a de la voluntad  (Spanish)

Dawnshard (English) | Odprysk Świtu (Polish)

Connection (English) |

Identity (English) |

Investiture (English) |

Polish complementation:

Endowment - Obdarowanie

Radants:

Windrunner - Wiatrowy (is more like Windy One?)

Skybreaker - Niebiański (funny, this matches better with Heavenly One)

Dustbringer/Releaser - Pyłowiec/Wyzwalacz

Edgedancer - Tancerz Krawędzi

Truthwatcher - Widzący Prawdę

Lightweaver - Tkacz Światła

Elsecaller - Przywoływacz

Willshaper - Kształtujący (Wolę)

Stoneward - Strażnik Skał (is more like Rock Guardian)

Bondsmith - Kowal Więzi