Hi there

ShardlessVessel

1 hour ago, Not an Ookla said:

Welcome to the Shard! Who's your least favorite character?

That's a surprisingly difficult question to answer.

There are characters I hate as people, but not as characters. Dilaf comes to mind: he's an infuriating, unreasonable zealot - and the fact that I can so genuinely hate him makes him a great character in my eyes. I hate him because he's a great character, not a bad one.

I see Moash in your signature. I dislike him, but I don't despise him - I care little for what he's done, but he lost all my respect in RoW. Hypocritical coward. As a character? Brilliantly written.

The other reason why it's so hard for me to answer this question is because I don't actually pick favorites. I just like a bunch of stuff, dislike a bunch of stuff and am neutral on a bunch of stuff. Very rarely does something stand out enough for me to qualify it as "best".

But if I had to choose one, it's Kiin's autistic child from Elantris, whose name slips my mind. He's a bit of a caricature and he actually feels like a plot device. I don't dislike as  person, but I feel he could have been much more polished.

How's that for a long-winded answer to a simple question? Maybe I should start a career as a epic fantasy author.

Welcome here!  We have a pretty good set of rules and guidelines here (see Forum and Discord Policies, Code of Conduct, and Welcome/Site Information) which should get you started.  If you have questions let us know.  For etiquette you can also check out Best Practices for Posting in Debates or Contentious Conversations as well.  If you get lost, just let a staff member know.

Hope to see you around here on the boards or on discord :).