Tramnedator

Howdy!

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! New here after my long journey of exploring the Cosmere! I started reading at the beginning of the pandemic, and what an excellent way to spend the time! My introduction was with The Emperor's Soul, then really getting into it with Mistborn and beyond! Looking forward to my time here!

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sup, welcome to the Shard! What other authors do you enjoy?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the Shard! Who's your favorite and least favorite characters?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the Shard! 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoy fantasy, but science fiction really is close to my heart. I honestly feel Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere really fits both categories and is probably how I fell in love with the Cosmere. Some other authors I enjoy are Dennis E. Taylor, Andy Weir, and Craig Alanson. One of my favorite authors is Dennis E. Taylor, who wrote the Bobiverse Series. I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves sci-fi and also a good laugh.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Not an Ookla said:

Who's your favorite and least favorite characters?

I will have to think about this. Let me get back to you on that haha least favorite character is a tough one.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tramnedator said:

I will have to think about this. Let me get back to you on that haha least favorite character is a tough one.

I'll hold you to it :).

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Not an Ookla said:

I'll hold you to it :).

There are so many good characters, but any chapter with Wayne or The Lopen is a winner to me. I feel like if I had to choose my least favorite character, it would be the onscreen Lord Ruler. The offscreen Lord Ruler really did some crazy stuff, and I loved his whole lore, but the onscreen Lord Ruler, a full feruchemist/Mistborn who is a sliver who held the power with untold knowledge, just kinda went poof lol. The onscreen Lord Ruler is kinda a putz. You made me say it lmao!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tramnedator said:

There are so many good characters, but any chapter with Wayne or The Lopen is a winner to me. I feel like if I had to choose my least favorite character, it would be the onscreen Lord Ruler. The offscreen Lord Ruler really did some crazy stuff, and I loved his whole lore, but the onscreen Lord Ruler, a full feruchemist/Mistborn who is a sliver who held the power with untold knowledge, just kinda went poof lol. The onscreen Lord Ruler is kinda a putz. You made me say it lmao!

Dang it, I was hoping for another Moash hater :P

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2021 at 0:46 PM, Not an Ookla said:

Dang it, I was hoping for another Moash hater :P

I had to balance out least favorite from properly hated. Sure I hate Moash but in the way that you love a villain. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome here!

On 9/19/2021 at 8:27 AM, Tramnedator said:

There are so many good characters, but any chapter with Wayne or The Lopen is a winner to me. I feel like if I had to choose my least favorite character, it would be the onscreen Lord Ruler. The offscreen Lord Ruler really did some crazy stuff, and I loved his whole lore, but the onscreen Lord Ruler, a full feruchemist/Mistborn who is a sliver who held the power with untold knowledge, just kinda went poof lol. The onscreen Lord Ruler is kinda a putz. You made me say it lmao!

This is so true.  TLR remains one of my favourite villains, but so much about what makes him compelling/interesting is implied but not shown directly.  I find it really interesting how Brandon handled him.

Spoilers for Mistborn Era 1:

Spoiler

First, we just hear about him.  Then we feel his insane soothing but don't see him.  Then we see him just murder Kelsier like its nothing.  All of this is just building him up and up and up.  In the fight with Vin we see his power somewhat (he's able to compel truth from her with the intensity of his soothing and rioting, and his pushes impact glass and internal metals), but not for long.  

This further complicated when we find out he isn't the author of the logbook - everything we thought we knew about his character is shown to be someone else.  Really, we know VERY very little about him.  

Hope to see you around the forums and on discord!  Probably should continue this conversation here in the introduction threads, but if you want to discuss further I know there's a lot of people interested in The Lord Ruler here.  

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2021 at 3:38 PM, Comatose said:

Hope to see you around the forums and on discord!  Probably should continue this conversation here in the introduction threads, but if you want to discuss further I know there's a lot of people interested in The Lord Ruler here. 

Thank you! Great points! I'm looking forward to getting more involved in the community. The Cosmere is crazy and I'm hoping to talk about these crazy things with people who are crazy about it! Any tips for a new person on the forum? 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think our rules and guidelines are a good place to start - as well as our spoiler policies (basically keep in mind which subsection you are posting in and what books are informing what you are writing about).  Reading the introductory posts on threads carefully is useful to tell you what kind of discussion is intended (casual, venting, debate, gushing, etc) and might help you to stay on tone.  Similarly, when you are starting your own threads, making it clear what kind of discussion you are hoping to have in the introductory post might be a good idea too.  

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2021 at 7:37 PM, Comatose said:

I think our rules and guidelines are a good place to start - as well as our spoiler policies (basically keep in mind which subsection you are posting in and what books are informing what you are writing about).  Reading the introductory posts on threads carefully is useful to tell you what kind of discussion is intended (casual, venting, debate, gushing, etc) and might help you to stay on tone.  Similarly, when you are starting your own threads, making it clear what kind of discussion you are hoping to have in the introductory post might be a good idea too.  

Thanks for the tips! I will put them to good use!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.