What was Lirin's and Hesina's plan if they had sent Kaladin to Kharbranth?

liriel

Question

I am re-reading TWoK and I just read the flashback where Kaladin decides to join Amaram's army to support Tien. Before that meeting, Hesina lays out that yes, they are spending spheres now, but they don't need to. She expected Roshone to think that Lirin is losing this fight and wanted to delay a few more months so Kaladin could take the rest of the spheres and go to Kharbranth and become a surgeon. When Kaladin asks them to come to Kharbranth with him, she says no.

Now the question:

If Roshone had not made the move, if Amaram would not have taken their sons, what did they plan to do once Kaladin had left? I expect Roshone would have been even more angry with them after that and it would have made their life a living hell, even more than it was already. What were they thinking they would do - a surgeon, his wife and their son who is not good at the chosen apprenticeship in a town where their landlord hates them? This doesn't seem wise. They couldn't think that Roshone would calm down after the spheres slipped through his fingers, could they?

4 answers to this question

Yeah, it was Kaladin's plan to go to Kharbranth etc as you DougTheRug say. However, what was the plan for Lirin and Hesina? To stay there with no spheres, under Roshone's wrath? Lirin seemed smarter than that when he was considering how to get Roshone to allow them to keep the spheres until Kaladin can go off with them.