Hi there! Hello! 'Tis I: Fadran!

I've been working on a Legend of Zelda RPG thing similar to D&D but also very different in a lot of ways. It's currently in a draft phase and I'd absolutely love it if some of you folks would like to help out by playtesting it.

I'm going to summon the folks from the "Who Loves Legend of Zelda" thread in the cults guilds subforum to check for continuity and also just nerd out about the bestest video game franchise ever.

And also I'm going to make a regular LoZ RP thread if you guys want to just hang out in the land of Hyrule so don't confuse this with that.

In any case here's the Master Doc

2 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Uhh... I wrote it awhile back but I'm pretty sure that it just means that the effects of the energy absorption can carry on and affect you more than once.

So, does that mean that it’s applied once and lasts as long as the designated duration, or applied every minute/turn for as long as the duration lasts?

7 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

And it looks like it's applied every minute/turn for the duration, as I have a little slashy "per" in there.

One more question: in the case of hearts, does it just damage you, or does it consume the container as well?

In that case, let’s say I make a damage spell that drains one heart a minute for one week after it’s used. This substitutes five magic per minute, and there are 10,080 minutes in a week. In essence, this totals out to 50,400 magic points, and if they’re all spent on definite damage, this makes 25,200 damage. Or, if half the magic is spent on d100 damage, then the damage output is 12,600+336d100, averaging out to 29,400 damage total with a theoretical maximum of 46,200. (For reference, Calamity Ganon only has 8,000 health, and a gold lynel has 7,500.)

And losing a heart a minute isn’t that hard to mitigate. For instance, a five-heart healing spell would cost ten magic points, which could be completely taken care of with fifty rupees’ worth of bokoblin parts that don’t get consumed, which shouldn’t be too hard to obtain through relentless bokoblin farming.

My personal recommendation is to implement a system of diminishing returns and maybe a hard maximum for component efficiency. For instance, maybe the energy absorption halves in effectiveness every hour,* meaning that you’d have to take steady damage for the next 4.271x10^46 years to use the spell. This means that you could only use it a few times per game if you don’t want to be constantly two minutes from death by health drain. And if the duration can’t be longer than twelve hours, than the energy absorption can only cover 111 damage, and thirty days could only cause 284.82 damage. (It makes sense from a lore perspective, too; it would be harder to drain health five days in the future than five hours, and five hours than five minutes.) 

*For instance, the first hour would take one hour, the second hour would take two hours, the “third” hour would take four hours, etc.

Edited by Enter a username

• 1 year later...