Just some praise for Mistborn (possible spoilers).

Lindy Moon

Put possible spoilers because while I won't be saying anything specific, you might be able to make guesses base on things I'm going to say.

Also, in the comments, mark spoilers for Hero of Ages. I just finished Well of Ascension and haven't started the last one yet.

Anyway. You probably know this already, but Sanderson is a god of writing. It isn't easy for a book to catch me off guard. I have a knack for spotting plot twists and predicting endings, but the ending of WoA? Totally didn't see it coming and it was amazing. The last time that happened was when I read Rithmatist. This is the third book of Sanderson's I've read and I've already decided I have to read everything.

Spoiler

Also how it worked out with Zane was not where I expected it would go and it was refreshing. No dumb love triangle. It could be because I'm asexual and aromantic, or I just got tired of seeing it, but love triangles never fail to frustrate me because I never get why in books (and real life) people won't just talk to each other. Thank you Sanderson for having Vin and Elend actually communicate.

I know I said not actual spoilers, but I'm on a roll, so there's your drop-down.

I can't wait to see what happens in Hero of Ages! And I have the first of the Reckoners for when I finish that.

Edited by MoonBlinked13

22 hours ago, MoonBlinked13 said:

I can't wait to see what happens in Hero of Ages! And I have the first of the Reckoners for when I finish that.

What other books have you read? Cause I would recommend you to make your way to Stormlight Archive (if I have to put it in a tier list, The Stormlight Archive gets the crown by far). If you love WoA, you're going to love The Hero of Ages (I know I did)

13 hours ago, Legui01010 said:

What other books have you read? Cause I would recommend you to make your way to Stormlight Archive (if I have to put it in a tier list, The Stormlight Archive gets the crown by far). If you love WoA, you're going to love The Hero of Ages (I know I did)

Only other book I've read is Rithmatist. I don't even remember where it came from, because my mum read it out loud to my sister and I. I took it and have reread it about a dozen times now.

I am SO looking forward to getting to Stormlight. That's with the giant swords right? I just realized Mistborn is in the same universe, so I'm really excited to see more of the Cosmere.

2 hours ago, MoonBlinked13 said:

I am SO looking forward to getting to Stormlight. That's with the giant swords right? I just realized Mistborn is in the same universe, so I'm really excited to see more of the Cosmere.

Yeah, the Shardblades, really cool weapons, though I won't spoil anything for you. If you're a fast reader, you'll get through Elantris and Warbreaker in no time (necessary to understand some events in SA).

3 hours ago, MoonBlinked13 said:

Besides Stormlight being great on its own merit, you really will like seeing how he ties Cosmere threads together in Stormlight. I'd suggest reading the Mistborn sequel series before Stormlight but it isn't necessary but just adds more to the experience 

My first Sanderson series was the Mistborn trilogy. It’s so good when you read it for the first time. 

If you want to get into the Cosmere as a whole I’d recommend something like this after you read Hero of Ages:

1) The Way of Kings (Stormlight 1)

2) Warbreaker (Stand-alone novel)

3) Words of Radiance (Stormlight 2)

4) Edgedancer (Stormlight 2.5)

5) Elantris (Stand-alone novel)

6) Oathbringer (Stormlight 3)

7) - 10) Mistborn books 4-6 (Wax and Wayne novels) plus Mistborn: Secret History novella after Mistborn 6. 

11) Dawnshard (Stormlight 3.5) 

12) Rhythm of War (Stormlight 4) 

This gives you a break between the more massive Stormlight books while also giving you some insight into some of the Cosmere Easter eggs that appear in the Stormlight novels. 

Enjoy all the new material! 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I just finished the Reckoners trilogy, so I needed to know what I should read next. I remembered someone giving me a list, and here you are! Thank you!

On 9/11/2021 at 8:04 PM, Andy92 said:

1) The Way of Kings (Stormlight 1)

2) Warbreaker (Stand-alone novel)

3) Words of Radiance (Stormlight 2)

4) Edgedancer (Stormlight 2.5)

5) Elantris (Stand-alone novel)

6) Oathbringer (Stormlight 3)

7) - 10) Mistborn books 4-6 (Wax and Wayne novels) plus Mistborn: Secret History novella after Mistborn 6. 

11) Dawnshard (Stormlight 3.5) 

12) Rhythm of War (Stormlight 4) 

For his non-Cosmere books, is there a recommended reading order for those?

28 minutes ago, Leo Moon said:

I just finished the Reckoners trilogy, so I needed to know what I should read next. I remembered someone giving me a list, and here you are! Thank you!

For his non-Cosmere books, is there a recommended reading order for those?

Only in the same continuity. Otherwise, choose what interests you most

First Born (stand alone Short Story)

Perfect State (stand alone Short Story)

Children of the Nameless (Magic the Gathering Novel)

Legion:

Spoiler

• Legion
  • Skin Deep
  • Lies of the Beholder

Reckoners:

Spoiler

• Steelheart
    • Mitosis (Short Story)
  • Firefight
  • Calamity
    • Snapshot (loosely in the Reckoners Multiverse - not directly related and can be read before or after the series)

Cytoverse:

Spoiler

• Defending Elysium (Short Story - eBook or  free on website)
  • Skyward
  • Starsight
    • Sunreach  (Short Story)*
    • ReDawn (Short Story)*
    • Evershore (Short Story)*
  • Cytonic *

* I haven't read these yet, but I believe they are concurrent with the end of Starsight and beginning of Cytonic

Keep in mind the Cosmere can be read in any order, but the internal Chronology matters to some readers in making a decision:

Chronology:

• White Sand
  • Elantris
    • Hope of Elantris
    • Emporer's Soul
  • Mistborn Trilogy
    • 11th metal comes before Mistborn: The Final Empire
    • Mistborn: Secret History is spoilerific - do not read before Bands of Mourning 
  • Warbreaker
  • Stormlight Archive 1-5
  • Mistborn Era 2
  • Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell
  • Sixth of the Dusk (I recommend the Shadows Beneath version)

Elantris is more Political than action-based (Warbreaker as well, to an extent) Which is why many "reading order" preferenaces place them after Mistborn and The Way of Kings. I usually recommend for Friends:

• Mistborn Trilogy
  • Warbreaker
  • Elantris
  • Stormlight Archive
    • Then read the others as desired - either after the Current SA books, or in between them